2020/03/29

Stop being a butt




Hey, 30 more days of "social distancing," "self-isolation," and "quarantine."  I've about had it and I'm not even stuck at home.  I don't need toilet paper.  I don't need groceries.  What I need is some time with my family and friends.  This is ridiculous.  I need some human interaction!  No offense to my husband and puppers but dang it, with us not being able to go anywhere, they have all found out where my last nerve is (it's in the neck and it really, really, super hurts!) and they all can't wait to poke at it.  They don't even use a stick but then, that would probably hurt worse.

Oh yeah, we have a pregnant dog and a pregnant cat at home too.  So there will be more headaches and hair pulling (on me, by me) soon to come.

As I ponder the whole Coronavirus situation and what we are going to think and say about it 10-20 years down the road, there's a piece of me that cries "I am just a little bit jealous of those people that get to say home and do whatever they want, with no time restrictions or deadlines.  I want to do that!"  And then common sense rolls back around and says "You would go C-R-A-Z-Y if you had to stay in your home 24/7!"  I think the first paragraph told us this already.

While I do enjoy going to work and being able to stay working, it is SO FRUSTRATING to see people out together.  I don't mean families that live together, I mean people that will travel down the road and pull up next to each other, get out and HUG each other.  Are you freaking kidding me?  I see it almost daily at gas stations when I am driving by.  What are we learning from this social distancing experience?  Apparently a number of us are learning NOTHING.  ZERO.  ZILCH.  NADA.  And while they are learning big on that, I get to bathe myself eight times a day and dress up in what little hand sanitizer I already had on hand.  I have plenty.  Thanks for the offer, though.

Inside, I get angry at a lot of people but I do try to keep my head about me and think about the situation.  The reason I get angry is because people can't see that they need to do this; they need to stay home as much as possible.  The longer it takes for people to get their heads out of their asses, the longer this whole thing is going to take.  Just the other day, a convenience store worker said to me "This has all been blown out of proportion."  I didn't know what to say at first and I just walked away with a soft, "Oh yeah Karen, we shut down the world for overkill."  Believe what you will, I guess.

The way we have been handling this is not the way to do it.  Obviously, if it did work, we wouldn't have been handed another 30 day prize now, would we?  Stop going to your sister's house.  Stop going to your parents' house.  Stop going to visit your cousins and best friends.  Stop putting people at risk.  Older people, younger people, all people.

Stop thinking about yourself and start putting others first.  This shouldn't be a pandemic lesson either.  That right there is a life lesson.  Always put the love of others before yourself and be kind.  Buying up all those rolls of toilet paper isn't being kind either ya'll.  Maybe if people could keep their heads on straight and tight, there would be enough to go around.  Don't worry about us though.  We have all sorts of things we can wipe our butts with.  Leaves, husbands socks, cleaning rags, husbands shirts.  I can come up with many, many ideas.

BUTT....see what I did there???  How about those people that can't get around very well?  How about those people that are already sick and have other health issues that can't just go out to ole Wally World any time they get the notion?  If you went out and hoarded a bunch of toilet paper and hand sanitizer and medical supplies and bleach and bread and milk and eggs and.....I could go on all day with this list.....whatever else people will need, you will never be able to convince me that it was right.  These are the times we need to be considerate of others.  Be kind.  Get only what you need for right now and go home.  You can go back next week or next month and get some more. 

The way the people of this country have acted since this pandemic started has saddened my heart and it makes me sick.  I still relate what my dad used to say, "You don't have to respect the President but you need to respect the office of President."  I have always, always, always done that.  No matter how vile the President was at the time.  So now I say to you, "You don't have to respect yourself.  (You should but you don't have to)  but you need to respect others."  This is the time in our lives that we need to get only what we NEED, do only what we HAVE to, and put those wants on the back burner.

Call people.  Write letters to people.  Send cards to people.  Color pictures and hang in your window.  Get the sidewalk chalk out and dress up the sidewalk or the driveway.  Facetime or video chat with your family and friends for now.  I will tell you this much, it will sure make you appreciate them more.  I hate it when people tell me I can't do something but this time, someone could die if I don't listen and I am not having that on my conscience.  Could you have it on your conscience?

I know there is more that I could scream about but I'm not going to.  Typing is a whole lot funner to do than crying and crying seems to be what everyone wants to do right now.  AloneTogether.  Think about that and remember, we are all in this together.  We can do this. Please help me have hope in the American people and keep your butts at home and keep to yourself if you can't seem to get along with whoever is in that house with you.  Compromise and sacrifice.  We all have it in us.

Don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment