2013/10/20

It's Preseason

Well it's here.  Preseason.  Time to get traps and snares in place for the big day.  It's coming up in two weeks, ya know.  As in years past, this year will probably have many laughs for me and Q.  I hope to be able to keep my pants on all season long this time.  Even if you're out in a field, where nobody is around, and your pants literally drop off of you.....you STILL look around to make sure nobody saw it.  Losing your drawers while checking muskrats traps is worse though, at least in my opinion, because you have to get in the water.....therefore you have no choice but to finish your run soaked from the waist down.  Almost like you pissed yourself. 
 
Preseason.  I can even smell it in the air.  Camoflauge is coming out more and more.  Driving up and down the gravel roads, staring down a path while hoping that guy driving past you in his truck hasn't already beaten you to it.  The cute little raccoon tracks in the mud.  I love seeing those.  And I especially love seeing the big feeted ones. 

At the end of last year, I made a list for myself.  Things that I wanted to accomplish before the end of 2013.  It has many many things on it.  Some of which I have accomplished and some of which I haven't yet accomplished and also some of which I won't accomplish.  But at least I am making an attempt. 

One of the things I wanted to accomplish...and almost have...is to learn the words to the song, "Oh Holy Night."  It is my most favorite song on this earth.  I can hear it in the middle of July or the middle of December and it makes my heart feel exactly the same.  Peaceful.  But anyway...I have the words hung up and I look at them quite often.  When you love a song so much though, you can't just say the words.  You have to sing them.  The Spirit of Peace really is in me year round.  Who woulda thunk it???

Another of my goals for the year was to make more friends.  I have made about 4 new friends.  By that I mean I have forced myself to spend time with people that I didn't know very well because I knew I would enjoy it once I got started.  And I have.  Friends are nice.  And it kinda helps that hurt feeling when you realize some of your longest life friends, aren't really the ones that you share your life with anymore.  Sad face.  Oh well. 
 
As I look on my list of things I want to do before the end of 2013, I see one that I have held to 99.99%.  No more energy drinks.  I have taken two small sips out of one but felt bad so I didn't finish it.  That's where that .01 comes in.  Just being honest.  Anyway, it's good I am over those things.  One of my deputies was calling me an addict.....right before he started drinking them.  I wonder if he could spell hypocrite?  Ha!

So, there are a lot of things on my list.  Thirty two of them exactly.  And like I said, I won't do some of them but I have made an attempt at most of them so far.  Sometimes you just can't do it all, I realize.

But the one thing that is on my list to do and I AM doing, is learning to skin a raccoon all by myself!!  I know it will be yucky and I know it will stink to high heaven but I am going to do it.  There is no reason I shouldn't.  I had to learn to bait my own fishing hook and deal with my own fish so why shouldn't I do the same for my trapping, right? 

Poor Quintin won't know what to do with himself if I turn out to be good at this and kick him out of his own workshop.  AND of course, then I would have to clean it and organize it and........well, let's not overthink this!

Another thing we are going to learn this year...as I was just told yesterday...is how to not only skin but de-scent a skunk.  Yes, you read that right.  (By the way, I saw that face you made.  Be careful, your face might stick like that.) If you live semi close to us and you have a skunk problem, please please please let us know!  I was thinking this morning how nice a skunk skin would look on our livingroom wall!!  Gorgeous!!

So as we were almost done pre-setting for the day, I came up with what I thought was a BRILLIANT idea for a new trap.  I didn't want to tell Q because I figured he would think what an idiot he has for a trapper wife but I finally couldn't hold it in any longer.  I bursted out with, "I have a fantastic idea for a trap......................" and so the story got told of what I wanted done and how I wanted it to work.  He stopped the truck, looked me straight in the eye and said," Holy sh!t that is brilliant!  How did you think of that?"   "Hehehe it just came to me about 3 miles back."

So now we have come up with two brilliant trapping ideas.  Getting the first one done is going to take some time.  And someone with some brains.  But we are on the right track. 

I will wrap this up.  I have no doubt there will be more blogs coming a little faster now because the antics are about ready to start.  Stay tuned and stay buckled!!!

Until next time.....thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment