2016/11/09

Fallen but not Forgotten ~ Justin Martin

I'm pretty sure that no matter how often you go to these things, they will never get any easier.  And it doesn't even matter if you personally know the people.  You just need to know what was in their hearts.  It seems I have finally went from the mourning process and now am at the angry level.  Going to two funerals in as many days for something that didn't have to happen.  I have a feeling that this angry level isn't going to fare very well for me.  I've said it before and I will say it again... I look at people differently now.  Even people I have known my whole life.  I find myself studying strangers in public places.  I watch how they interact with others around them and how they carry themselves.  In my heart of hearts, I feel it is just easier to stay in my house or at work, away from everyone else.

I did not personally know Officer Justin Martin but after that service, I feel like I do now.

**As with the previous blog, I have posted a link at the bottom if you would like to go watch the complete service.  It's about an hour and a half and it's very moving.  You won't regret it.**

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016, I attended my second (and hopefully last) active law enforcement funeral.  There were few things the same about either one when it came down to specifics.  One in a church and one in a school.  But it's the similarities that I would like to hit on for a second.  If you remember in my previous blog, I spoke about how WDMPD parked us and thanked us and how I thought that was so nice?  Well, whoever was in charge of getting all of these law enforcement vehicles parked in such a way that it wasn't a clusterf*** was nothing short of amazing.

As we pulled into the parking area, those directing us to the appropriate section not only smiled at us but they all waved.  Not such a big deal, huh?  Well, they were there for the same reason we were and it wasn't a good occasion at all.  We were there to support those that lost one of their own.  And they were gracious enough to put a smile on their faces and be the generous hosts that they would want if the tables were turned.  That right there told me that we were in great company once again.

It was a hometown feel if it was anything.

When we walked up to the school, we were met by what seemed like a sea of men and women in uniform.  There was law enforcement, Conservation, Fire Dept., EMS, Reserves, Honor Guards, Dept Public Safety, Iowa Law Enforcement Academy staff, Iowa State Patrol as well as Highway Patrol from many other states, Canines, Chaplains, Corrections Officers, and Dispatchers.  Iowa represented well, and were accompanied by many other states.  Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Kansas, Illinois, Arizona, New York, Nebraska, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and there were probably several more that I did not see.

In typical Shellie fashion, we walked into the gymnasium and said "You got two chairs for two dispatchers?"  And boom, there we sat...in the faculty section on the floor.  How's that for service?  These people were great!  And we sat next to a wonderful couple that were very friendly and kind.  She was Justin's first grade teacher and is currently substituting for Justin's mother's class while she is out.  

Everybody stood for not only Justin's blood family but also for their blue family.  And stood for a long time.  Not all the people that were there to pay respects got to come inside due to lack of space but we all would have stood for them if they would have gotten the chance.  The overflow, which was a hallway outside the gymnasium, was also full of people.  Someone told me there were close to 300 people outside watching the service on a big-screen.  Simply amazing.

The service started with the bagpipes.  Always beautiful and always sad, in my opinion.  Wouldn't want it any other way though.  I have went back and listened to them play a few times and as much as I don't like them, they give me some kind of security.  I haven't yet decided if that tune is creepy or calming.

The service was started as close to the time of 11:40 as possible, honoring Justin's badge number 1140.  You got to hand it to them, that was a great idea!

Pastor Anita Bane spoke on behalf of Justin's family, thanking all the officers for serving and then a gentleman (forgive me, I can't remember his name) sang what seemed to be his personal version of Amazing Grave that ended up being a tribute to Officer Martin that went from joking about tattoos to telling about his love for God and how Justin always tried to do what was right.

Chief Ross McCarty, Urbandale Police said, "We hired Justin because, as with the rest of the men and women I work with at UPD, he was a man of integrity.  We were not prepared to have Justin's life stolen from us."  And his voice cracked and I thought he wasn't going to be able to finish but he did and with flair.  Chief McCarty spoke of how Justin was a committed eagle scout and how he lived a good Christian life.  He spoke about how in law enforcement we are all "a big loving dysfunctional family."  Boy, did he ever hit that nail on the head.

Officer Brady Farrington, fellow officer and friend of Justin, badge number 1139, gave a tearful tribute.  He describes Justin as a gentle giant.  "He was a kind soul, hard worker, a fierce competitor, studious academic, a loving son and grandson, dutiful brother, respectful listener, and a professional protector."  After he spoke, he went over and hugged the Martin family and it was so moving.  You could literally feel the love.

The final call.  Dang it, why wasn't I prepared for that?  It gets me every single time and I was so involved in what was going on that I didn't even think about that coming up.  But when it did, I couldn't hold back any longer.  I just let the tears fall.  There is just something so heartbreaking to hear a unit's number called out and nobody is there to answer the call.

Procession took over 50 minutes to go through town, winding around to all of Justin's favorite places while growing up.  People standing alongside the road waving.  That was a humbling experience in itself.  Justin was transported in an old fashioned hearse that was amazing to see.  The cemetery was beautiful and was the first time I had ever seen the doves being released.  Of course there were more bagpipes and the trumpet was played but it was all fitting and very beautiful.

I am honored to have been a part of this young man's tribute to life and I'm sure so many others are as well.  Like I said, I hope I never have to do this again.  Working with law enforcement seems to be where I was meant to be.  I fought it and fought it and finally just "gave up" and gave in.  That was the best thing I could have done and I'm glad I waited so I could be fitted with the right family.

This week will forever be etched in my heart as something awful, mind-numbing, earth-shattering, crazy, awesome, and amazing; all at the same time.  Thanks for reading.

http://www.kcci.com/article/full-coverage-funeral-of-officer-justin-martin/8259493



No comments:

Post a Comment