2014/02/03

It's all about the friends

A gal on my Facebook, that I have known as long as I can remember, posted the most interesting thing earlier.  Ok, technically it was last night but to me it was earlier in this night.  I'm a night owl, that's all I got. 

Here's the link to what she posted but I will try to break it down for those of you that don't want to click on the link and read it for yourself.  The types of best friends you will have in your life.  For anyone that knows me, you know that I have a "problem" with having a "best friend."  Now I think I know why.  I have been trying to bring a best friend from one part of my life.....kicking and screaming.....through all parts of my life...when it's more than obvious she doesn't want to be there.

So here we go.  Best friend #1:  Your childhood best friend.

Rather than copy and paste...and getting my butt in the slinger for it...I will give you my rendition of each one.  The childhood friend is basically your first friend.  Maybe you became friends because your parents were friends, or maybe even relatives.  You spent many nights at this friend's home, spending the night, playing games with their brothers, sisters and/or parents, broke the rules together, maybe even had imaginary friends that played together.

My #1 best friend was Stacey.  We did EVERYTHING together!  We spent the night at each other's homes.  We ate bugs (June bugs at that!).  We rode bicycles (and wrecked).  We teeter-tottered on the most awesome teeter-totter in the world (that they still have, I believe!).  We lived at the swimming pool when it was open.  We got in trouble together (hard to believe, I know!).  I loved Stacey like she was my very own blood sister (and still do!) and would do anything for her.  Even though she and her neighbor Mindy, told me we were going to knock on the door at the other neighbor's house to see if their son could come out and play.  What they didn't tell me was that as soon as we knocked, she and Mindy were going to high-tail it out of there and leave me standing there.  To deal with the said boy's scary, mean mom.  Sometimes I shudder thinking about that.  And I don't know why either because the people were actually distant cousins at that time.  But the mom scared me to death.  She wasn't very happy either, when I realized they had hidden and left me to defend myself.  I just looked at her and ran back to Stacey's house.  Hahaha that WAS funny...NOW!

I will try to make these shorter, but you know how I am.  Maybe I will make this a 2 parter.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.  Half of it tonight and half of it tomorrow night.  -_-  Maybe.

Best friend #2:  Your high school BFF.

Your high school BFF is one of the best things...besides your education...that came out of high school!  Your high school BFF is how you even got through some of those classes!  The person you went to everyday at lunch to talk with.  Told all your boy troubles to, your most embarrassing moments, who you skipped school with...did I just say that???

My high school BFF was Lenora.  She was so fun to hang around.  We stayed a lot of times, with her Grandpa and he would take us to the Skylark Cafe for breakfast.  He was wonderful.  Lenora's house was the first experience I had ever had eating rabbit.  We all sat at the table eating, and afterward Lenora asked me if I liked it.  Of course I liked it, I love food!  When she told me it wasn't hamburger but it was rabbit, I kinda paused and said "Oh ok.  It was good."  And I think that was the ONLY time I have ever really liked it.  I don't care for it now anyway.  Maybe her mom or dad just knew how to cook it.  I also remember helping her wash the dishes after dinner one night and she told me that when she first had to start doing the dishes, her mom made her wash ALL the dishes in their china cupboard one night because she didn't get ONE dish (I think it was a glass) cleaned good enough.  Yikes, I was thankful we had a dishwasher then.  At least it wouldn't have been MY fault if they didn't get clean!

Best friend #3:  The kid next door. 

This is any kids that lived in the neighborhood and you were "privy" to be friends with because you all lived in the same area and well...you were kinda stuck playing there. 

My "kid next door" friend was Rodney.  Although we didn't really live next door to each other, his dad was a Deputy for my dad and so our families spent a lot of time together.  And they only lived two blocks away from us.  I can remember being at their house almost every day.  I loved his mom and dad like my own (and still do!) and couldn't get enough of his little sister Kim.  I remember they had a Lite Brite and my parents never would get me one.  I loved it.  I wanted to go there and play with it everyday.  Of course, Rodney didn't want to do that!  He wanted to ride bikes and play in the dirt and things like that.  We ended up doing that more than playing with the Lite Brite but man, I can remember that like it was yesterday. 

Best friend #4:  Your college BFF.

This is the person that you spend all your college time with.  Could be someone from highschool...maybe your BFF...or maybe someone you have known forever...or maybe someone you met at college and a great friendship flourished.  This is the person you go to parties with, scam on the guys with, or maybe even traveled with.  This BFF helps you figure out who or what you want to be when you get out of college.  You know, when you grow up. 

I went to college but I didn't go to college for several years after high school.  I was too much into partying and spending time with my BFF.  So this is where I enter Tammy's name.  Had we went to college, she would be my college BFF.  Tammy and I had the same interests.  Go to work, come home to change clothes, and be out the door again.  There were many, many times I lived at her house.  Loved all her brothers and sister like my own and her parents were two of the most wonderful people on this earth! I think Tammy and I experienced it all together and we had a fun time learning the "Whoa, that was fun's," to the "Whoa, let's never do that again's!"

Best friend #5:  Your work BFF.

This is the BFF that you turn to when your day has just been crap-tastic!  When you think everybody around you has turned against you, you go to this person.  You plan meals at work around when you work together.  You "bitch" to this person about everything that gets under your skin.  And you let this person do the same in return.  This BFF is one of the most sacred BFF's you will ever have. 

My work BFF is Beth.  When she and I work together, we are a force to be reckoned with.  Nobody is going to push us around and we can get through ANYTHING together.  We challenge each other and tug at each other's heart strings.  She shares her beautiful grandson with me...we are Cheerios friends...and I share my husband (he helps her with odd jobs around her house, dont get any ideas!).  I know that someday (soon) Beth is going to leave my side to go do her own thing and I am going to be left here...in the dust...to my own devices.  I feel sorry for my other co-workers because I will have to take my frustrations out on them.  They won't like it one bit.  Beth always gives the BEST advice and always has a project for us to work on.

Best friend #6:  Your parents.

Your friendships with your parents will come in waves of "I love and adore the very ground you walk on," to "I hate you and you make my life miserable."  As you get older, you realize just how imporant your parents are and how much you really love them.

Big one for me here.  One time I got so mad at my mom (for not letting me go somewhere) that I screamed "I hate you," and wouldn't come out of my room until I knew my dad was home.  I don't really know why I thought that was going to help any because dad was the one that always gave the spankings.  And they always hurt.  A lot.  Anyway, I started downstairs and dad came around the corner and stood at the bottom of the stairs and said to me, "If you hate your mother, then you hate me.  You will not come out of your room until you can come and apologize to your mother."  And he walked away.  And I went back to my room.  And cried.  Of course I was about 8 years old and didn't want to hate my dad.  At least not that day because he hadn't done anything to me yet!!!  I ended up apologizing to mom and also to dad for saying bad things to mom.  I will never forget that and I never said it again.  Today, I would give up every thing I have, to have my mom and dad back.  My heart pours adoring love for them everyday...especially since they're gone.  I sure do miss them. 

I am going to stop for now because well........that last one made me really sad and the last thing I want to do at work is sit and cry.  But I probably will.  Good thing the prisoners are asleep.

Until next time.....thanks for reading...and for being my friend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment