2014/02/24

Time of delivery

Tuesday, February 18th, Quintin and I got all the donations loaded up to take to the mission in the Omaha, NE/Council Bluffs, IA/Carter Lake, IA area.  If you remember from my blog on January 17th, I spoke of a time in my life when I had to spend the night here.  Let me just say right here, right now...things are not the same at The Open Door.  No, not at all!

We had the back of the pickup loaded.  We had the trailer loaded.  The closer we got, the more excited we got about what we were doing.  As we neared the city, Quintin told me that he would really like it if we could do this every year.  I told him it was a deal but I would rather take donations in the fall simply because the weather was a LITTLE more dependable then.  So this fall, we will take another load of donations up.  Let me know if you are going to want to donate and I will put you on my reminder list.

When we pulled up to the donation center, I kept looking around for the building that used to be there.  The building I stayed in.  The building that helped inspire me.  It was nowhere to be seen.  As we were pulling up to the side of the building to unload, I kept saying, "This is the Open Door but this isn't the Open Door."  It just wasn't what I remembered.  Not anything at all.

What used to be a building called the Lydia House, was now taken over by 5 three story buildings.  Very large buildings.  If I hadn't known better, I would have thought they were dormitories.  Or apartment buildings.  

When we pulled up, I told a guy named Josh that I was to meet up with Tami because she not only wanted to see what we had to bring, but she was going to give us a tour.  Josh immediately ran over to one of the other buildings and got her.  No time was wasted.  And just as soon as we could get out of the truck, along came 4 men with a huge box on a pallet, ready to unload our gifts.  They didn't expect us to do anything.  But we did.  We heaved bags and shoved boxes right along with them.  And they had such a good sense of humor.  Everyone having fun doing what they were doing.

And as they moved from the trailer to the pickup, one of them said, "I'm glad we all came in today.  This is a great load!"  That my friends, made my heart soar.  I was glad they came in too.  We filled two of those huge boxes and had a little extra to spare.  They weighed it all and it came in at a little over half a ton.  HALF A TON!  How amazing is that?  Not just clothes but books, games, shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brushes, hair brushes, soaps, body washes, sprays, lotions, Q-tips, deodorants, blankets, sheets, bags, shoes, laundry soap, towels, wash clothes, toilet paper.  I could go on and on and would surely forget to mention something.  

My friends...what WE did.....you and I...together...was nothing short of amazing.  We helped a lot of people.  We helped people to have things they wouldn't have otherwise.  We gave people hope.  We showed people that we care.  That we have love in our hearts.  Not just for those we know and are around us...but for complete strangers that we will probably never meet.  I can't thank you enough for helping me with this project.  

After unloading, Tami took us on a tour of a few buildings.  The first one was the donation center.  The Timberlake Outreach Center.  Upon entering, it looked just exactly like any other Goodwill store or Salvation Army.  There were racks of clothes on hangers.  There was a place with household items, such as pots and pans, etc., and there was an area for mattresses and bedding, as well as an area for food such as store bought rolls, breads, dried beans, canned goods.  The list is endless.  In the back, there was all sorts of different furniture and toys, books and games.  

Now...let's see if I can explain this.  Those that are in the "program," can come here and shop once every 30 days.  They can pick out whatever it is that they want or need and take it.  They don't have to pay for it.  They just have to be in a program through the mission that helps them either get back on their feet or rehabilitate their lives in some way.  

The building itself is in bad repair.  They had a pipe freeze and bust, making a huge mess in which they had to close completely down for a few days.  Ceiling tiles need replaced.  Offices are having to be re-done.  As much as it needed repair, I can see how it brought hope to so many.

Next, we went to another building...which is the Lydia House...only a new and improved Lydia House!  It was so nice and so clean.  From the minute we walked in, until the door closed behind us, Quintin and I couldn't stop talking about how nice is smelled.  This building had some family units in them.  These consist of a livingroom/kitchen area that is pretty good size, one bedroom that has bunk beds with trundles underneath, and a good sized bathroom.  They are very nice units and the most they have had live in one is a family of 9.  In that one unit.  And they got along fine.  Don't know that I would do as well.  God Bless them!

In the Lydia House, there were big areas where beds were set up at night for single mothers and their children.  I can't remember 100% but I think these were short term people that stayed in these rooms.  We saw a wonderful room for children to learn and play in.  It reminded me of a Kindergarten classroom.  Again, so very clean and toys are wiped down regularly with bleach.  

Another room showed computers where people could study for their GED's, look for jobs, etc. They were big, well lit, and SO QUIET!!!  I was almost afraid to ask questions for fear of breaking the silence.  There were offices for counselors/case workers.  

As we walked down the halls, every person we met smiled and said hello and it was genuine.  Not a hello simply because you made eye contact.  I could have stayed there for the whole day and never stopped smiling.

The utility closets were probably my favorite part and if you know me at all...you aren't surprised.  This is where I learned just exactly what I want to do for the mission personally.  The cleaning products that they pay for...the laundry soaps that they pay for...the brooms and mops and buckets that they pay for...it's outstanding.  

If you are planning on participating in the next round, and you aren't sure what to donate, don't think twice about bleach, brooms, dust pans, dust mops, buckets, laundry soaps, dish soap, hand towels, dish rags, cleaning rags, SOS pads, scrubbers.  Things of that nature.  

You are also more than welcome to send the "normal" stuff too.  The stuff we took this first time.  It is all very much in need and all very much appreciated.  

The next, and last building, that we went into to...forgive me because I can't think of the name of the building right now...mainly housed men.  Some small families in one area and then the main kitchen was in this building.  Big and spacious area and we got to go into the kitchen where a crew was busy getting things prepped for dinner time.  They were so friendly...asking us if we wanted to do dishes for them!  Wasn't that nice of them to think of us like that???  Unfortunately, we were on a tour and couldn't stop!!  

Tami did say that if a group wanted to come up and volunteer to help out, to let them know and they would get us on the schedule whenever it would work for everyone.  For those that are interested in volunteering around the holidays, get your name in early because they have people in all the time.  

And if you are going through the area and just happen to have a frozen turkey in your car that you can spare...drop it off.  A little goes a long ways!

In that last building...the one with the big kitchen that I should have in my house...they also house Veterans in one area.  Some of them pay a small rent but most do not.  They have a nice patio out back that many of the men were enjoying that day.  

If you are interested in having a tour, volunteering, wanting to donate...anything at all...you can contact the Open Door Mission at 402-422-1111.  Let them know what you want to do and they will steer you in the right direction.  For monetary donations, you can mail a check or money order to:  2828 North 23rd Street East, Omaha, NE 68110.  It can be a general donation or you can direct it to anything specific.  For a list of those, I would recommend calling and asking what programs they have but some that I know of would be the Veterans, children's programs, single parent programs, GED programs, families.  

I hope you enjoyed your little mini tour of the mission.  This project made my heart soar, as I said.  I think God brought me to this place called earth, to help.  To give.  To reach out.  I know this is what I'm supposed to do; I just haven't figured out exactly how I am supposed to do it on a continual basis.  In time I guess.  In time.

Until next time...thanks for reading, thanks for donating, thanks for being you.  From my heart to yours, much love.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment