2013/06/29

Time for surgery

Bright and early on Thursday morning, we say goodbye to Cindy and head for the hospital. Not much traffic so it was easy peazy getting there. The first order of business: Stand in line for about 20 minutes because there was one person in front of us getting helped by one gal that was just filling in for the day and the computer kept knocking her off. While I waited, I saw on Facebook that lots of towns were having problems with electricity so I just stood there and counted my blessings. And prayed. Prayed a lot.

Jackie got checked in and they took her in for her bloodwork. One of those blood tests being a pregnancy test. I told her the other night that it better come back negative or we were gonna have problems. Guess what? No problems!!! Hahaha didn't have a doubt in my mind though.

We got back to the pre-op room and the nurse, Joan, told us to get her undressed and then we needed to wipe her down with these warm antibacterial wipes she gave us. She stressed not to do any private areas but get the arms, legs, back, stomach and neck areas. So we proceeded to strip her down and get her wiped off. Here's where being the youngest sibling gets to be the worst because I got to do her back and legs.....because I can get on the floor and do it. That means she has her back to me. Her naked back. As I'm on my knees, wiping down her legs, I look up to Jackie's butt in my face. "Don't you dare fart." Of course she laughs and says she has to fart. I hurry up and get done and just as I get back on my feet, she lets loose. She thought that was pretty funny. So did her mom. I'll let it slide.....this time!

We got her gown on her and told her she would need to lay on the bed because Joan would be coming back and Jackie flat out refused. We had to argue with her to get her to lay down. I had never ever seen her act like that before! She was scared and as soon as we did get her in that bed, she started crying. We both hugged on her and told her how simple it was going to be. That nothing was going to happen for a while anyway and that they would just be asking her and her mom some questions and she could watch tv or she could take a nap, it didn't matter.

She hadn't slept all night....and neither had Kathy or I, so we were really hoping she would take us up on that nap idea. NO GO. Her dad, step-mom, brother, and grandma showed up and that seemed to make her feel a little better. We all took turns going in and out so everybody got to spend some time with her. At one point, when Kathy and I were the only ones in with her, I told her that if she would just take a nap, I would take one too and would rest my head on her mom's shoulder. She shot straight up in that bed and as serious as she could be, said "Stop your lying." Neither Kathy nor I knew what to think about that so we just busted out laughing!!!

Jackie's great aunt Pat came from Mapleton, Iowa to see her too. That was a real treat as Jackie just loves her aunt Pat!! Heck, after spending time with aunt Pat, I don't know how anybody couldn't love her! She's a hoot! I hope I'm as active as she is at her age! She brought Jackie the coolest socks!! I hope I am able to find some one of these days. Just little bootie socks with all the different colored cancer ribbons on them. Too darn cute!!!

Finally Jackie went in for surgery and Kathy had her chance to break down. I was so happy to see it and I didn't try to stop it either. She needed it badly!! I think the worst thing a hospital has to offer you is a waiting room. At least put some video games in there. Or a juke box. Something so you just aren't sitting there thinking the worst things possible! Who designed these things??? Maybe hospitals should assign people things to do while they're waiting. Hand them a vacuum, or a broom, or a dust rag and tell 'em to to go town. And don't stop until we call your name. I'm not saying this hospital was dirty, by any means. I'm just saying.....give us something to do. Crafts anyone???

After surgery, Kathy, Bill, Chanda and I went into the room with the doctor and he told us that Jackie got along very well. She had one big hernia, which we knew about, and then a "whole bunch" of small hernias as well. Poor girl. He got all of them fixed and they shouldn't be a problem ever again. He was able to pull the spleen out of where they fixed the hernias so she only had about 3 or 4 laproscopic incisions and 1 large vertical incisions. Very neat and very clean. He did a good job. I'll give him that. And that's about it. He said that the pathologists already had the spleen in their possession but that we probably wouldn't know anything until Monday because the next day was Friday and you know.....pathologists don't work weekends. Apparently neither do doctors.

Jackie was moved to her room shortly after going to recovery. She was awake and wanted to see her mom. We went to her room and she was sitting up just waiting for us. Looking around her room and out her window. I would be lying if I said we weren't very surprised to see her awake and sitting up. She's strong. Like her Aunt Shellie. She was up and walking the evening of her surgery so that was a great sign.

So that was Thursday. Today is Saturday. She finally got to go home today. She hasn't slept much since we got to town on that Wednesday evening. Even with all the antistetic she had, she fought sleep. That girl is more stubborn than I am and that's saying something because we all know how stubborn I can be!! Unfortunately when Jackie doesn't sleep well, neither does her mother. And when I'm around, neither do I. Apparently. I was ready for her release just so we could all go home to our own beds.

Kathy and I both had our "breakdown" times. She would go to the bathroom and I would just stop whatever I was doing and just bow my head so Jackie wouldn't see me. She doesn't understand the whole "happy cry" thing and it would worry her and confuse her. There was quite a bit of "happy cries" from us two. Happy it's over.....at least this part. We still have a ways to go. Pathologist report, doctor's visits, and then the constant watch to see if anything changes (mainly the cough).

Jackie had many visitors at the hospital and a few people called her and texted her to see how she was doing. Of course, she loved every minute of that! She got some really nice gifts brought to her. And she had the best bed in the room. I was willing to give my spleen to them for a bed by the time today rolled around. The first night I slept on the floor. The second night, in a cozy recliner. I think I love the floor thing best.

Since I had to work tonight, I couldn't stay past 1:00pm because I had to take their extra stuff to their house and drop it off so they wouldn't have a bunch of stuff to carry out when they left. By the time I had gotten to their house, they had gotten word that they could go home. Ugh! I almost called up and chewed their butts. But I didn't. Heck, I don't think I have the energy for it!

The main thing is that Jackie is home and resting. I'm sure Kathy is resting too. Or maybe she is reading in the corner...with her eyes closed. I hear she likes to do that! Hehehe

As for me...I will rest in good time. Got things to do and people to boss around before that can happen. I want to thank you for your prayers for Jackie, Kathy, Zach, the whole family. You are so appreciated in all ways. Our support system has proved to be outstanding!! I can't wait to get my "Team Jackie" shirt!!!

Until next time.....thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment