2014/11/09

Where there's a will, there's a way

I have been planning this blog in my head for a couple of days now so I hope the transition from my head to my fingertips to this computer goes smoothly.  You never know!

In my most recent blog, I told you that we have been going through some changes at work and that our Sheriff stepped down and one of the Deputies is now the Sheriff.  So.....in all that mess, we had to replace one.  So the hiring process began and that made a lot of us nervous.  Who knew what asshole we could possibly get stuck with!!  As a dispatcher, it makes a world of difference because these are the people you are going to spend a lot of time with.  

So they go and hire this guy from the police department in a neighboring town...partly still in our county...but works for another county.  I know...it's confusing.  And kinda dumb.  Whatever.  When I heard we had hired him, my heart literally sank.  We had just hired the biggest traffic nazi in the whole western state of Iowa.  That was MY opinion, at least.  I couldn't believe it.  I just knew that once he was working nights: 

I would never be able to leave my work chair again.  
I would never again eat a hot meal at work.
I would never get to see The Big Bang Theory all the way through while on duty.
I would forever and ever be in traffic hell!

I was going to hate this guy.  Oh hell, let's be honest, I already hated him!  I heard him on the radio all the time running this car and that car and asking for all kinds of information from passerby's on the interstate.  Ugh!  "That's it!  At least I am going to tell the Sheriff how I feel about this!"  

And I did.  I walked right up to him as he was doing paperwork and said "I cannot believe you hired "HIM."  Of all the people on this earth, you hired the biggest traffic nazi out there!  Not to mention a 20-something "I know all, I am all" little puke!  I just want you to know that I am going to HATE working with him and when he sits on the interstate and runs traffic for a full 8 hours, I will be calling YOU when he goes home because I will want to inconvenience you like I will be inconvenienced."  

Oh that Sheriff!  He laughed at me.  He told me to relax and breathe.  He said it will be alright and that he takes full responsibility for the actions of "HIM."  He assured me that once I got to know him, I would see how he really is.  Oh I know how he really is dude.  I listen to him on the radio almost every night now and fantasize about tying his tongue in a knot.  Let the stress begin!

I made it clear to every person I talked to that I did not like this guy and had no plans to ever like him or like working with him.  That was my story and I was sticking to it.  The first night that we worked together, he was riding with another Deputy and I couldn't find a sense of humor on this guy to save my life.  At this point, I figured my days here were numbered.  The thought of working with someone that I absolutely couldn't stand was more than I was willing to go through.....again.  

If any of you remember, I had a rough start with the previous "FNG" and I didn't want a repeat of that.  Definitely not worth it.

So the first night that this guy is on duty solo, guess what he does?  He stops my husband.  Oh yes, he did.  And I just knew it was going to go downhill from there.  If my co-workers thought I was a stubborn bitch now...well, they hadn't seen anything yet.  Needless to say it was a couple of days before he and I had any face-to-face contact.

Well now...for the sake of my fingertips and your sanity, I will fast forward a few months.  As of today, this guy has hurt my feelings and been a real dick cheese to me; but I have to say that he did not hurt my feelings intentionally and that whole dick cheese thing...well I was probably just as bad to him so I'll let it slide.  It does come with the job sometimes.  But I make sure he knows when he's being a dick cheese.

I have sent this guy a Facebook friend request and within 24 hours, rescinded it.  Luckily he hadn't accepted at that point or it might have just turned ugly.  He actually sent me a request after that and I didn't accept it.  (I'll show him who's stubborn!)  We have "bonded" over coffee and think we finally have each other figured out.  He's a dick cheese and I'm the Queen.  Yep!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  

We are now friends.  I mean who couldn't be friends with a guy that:

*is an animal lover
*is a coffee drinker...and loves hazelnut creamer!  BONUS!
*is a Walking Dead fan
*is left-handed (like me!)  
*is quick witted and has a fantastic sense of humor (Yes it took a while but it came out)
*is a quick thinker
*is ready to help when it is asked of him and ready to do his job to the best of his ability
*pretty health-conscious overall
*****holds his wife up on a pedestal and tells the world how hot she is and how in love he is with her.  (There is a reason this gets 5 stars you know!) I told him it is rare to hear men talk about their wives like that and it is very refreshing.  

This guy is adorable on so many levels and I absolutely look forward to working with him.  Even if he does make me do more work than the others!!!  We get along great and eventually I foresee a brother/sister kind of relationship.  I already find myself asking him all kinds of advice about work.  He and his wife...whom I will probably never get to meet because he's a big chicken shit...are expecting their first baby in the near future.  I am SO freaking excited for them!!!  He is going to be such a wonderful daddy and it is fun to watch these tough guys turn soft when it comes to a little baby.    
  
For the record, I have told every person in my office how I misjudged this man AND I have even told him.  More than once.  We honestly could not have asked for a better man to represent our county and keep our roads safe.  

I know it's rare to see but I was so completely wrong about this guy...even though he has made me doubt it once or twice.  Yep, I won't judge another until I know the full story and have lived the misery.  

Oh hell, who am I kidding??? We will have another new Deputy the first of the year and I'm sure my world will turn crazy again.  Oh well, at least I'll have my new friend to talk me off that ledge!!  -_-  

Well there you have it.  I hope you enjoyed that little tidbit.  Now on to bigger and better things.  Who knows where the next blog is going to end up!  Until next time...thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment