2013/02/27

You took me by surprise

Well I am upright and out-and-about.  I had, what seems to be, a nasty case of the flu.  It came fast and hard and with little-to-no warning at all.  Actually, when I left work at midnight on Friday night, I thought I was in for a head cold.  I wasn't particularly wrong on that part.  I did get a head cold.  I can handle those though.  It's what followed that stunned me.  Literally.

When I got home, there lay Q in bed, Bella in her pack-n-play.  She was spending the weekend with us because baby sister decided it was time to "meet the rents."  Anyway, they were both sound asleep when I got home.  When Q called me earlier in the night, he said that Miss Bella wasn't feeling very well so I knew a rough night could be in store for us.  I laid down and it wasn't long before Bella got to coughing and eventually, woke herself up.  She was miserable, the poor little thing. 

So, just as I thought, it was a long night.  For more reasons than one.  Right now is where I will praise my husband to the high Heavens for getting that toilet installed upstairs.  During our ins-and-outs of sleep (or lack there of), my bladder decided it needed some attention.  I get up out of bed and the pain that shot through my back...both upper and lower...made me cry out a little bit.  Had Miss Bella not been there, that cry would have been louder.  A LOT louder. 

So there I went...one slow step at a time...half bent over...towards the future master bed/bath.  By the time I got there, my bladder was completely laughing at me.  I was almost in tears.  And I almost made it!!  And the whole time I'm thinking, "What the hell is wrong with me???"  So I head downstairs.  I figured it was just a backache and it would be okay by morning so no big deal.  But for it to slow my walking was a whole other issue.  I get cleaned up and headed back upstairs.  (Now to just get that sink hooked up)

As I headed upstairs, I noticed my knees were starting to ache.  The flu never once entered my thoughts.  So back to sleep I go.  And I was exhausted.  You'd have thought I had just climbed Mt. Everest rather than 13 steps to my top floor.  Bella woke up a few more times and I just let Q deal with her because it seemed any time I wanted to lift my head off of my pillow, someone had strapped it down...to the pillow...which was strapped down...to the bed. 

At some point in the early morning, my bladder thought it would f*ck around with me some more, so again...trudging along with my head hanging down below my ass cheeks...back screaming at me...knees crying...ankles crackling...and get this...my toes felt like they were pin cushions...with the pins IN them!!!  It went wrong.  Again.  Nearly pissing myself again as I get to the toilet.  At this point, I didn't even care what was going on with me.  I just wanted to go to sleep and not have to deal with it. 

Back downstairs, make a bottle for baby and head back up.  I remember just standing at the base of the stairs and looking up.  Buddy was standing there looking at me, his head cocked to the side, wondering what was taking me so long to go back to bed so HE could go back to bed!  I started the trek up and got about halfway before I realized 13 steps is a long way...when you feel like the ass-crack of a hyena being drug along a paved road. 

I crawled the last 4 steps and got back to bed.  Gave the bottle to Q and told him he was on his own.  And he was.  And he did a great job.  The whole weekend!  He took care of Miss Bella and kept her fevers at bay while I stayed in my bed and slept...and slept...and slept...and slept...and slept.  It was never-ending.  Total waking hours for Saturday and Sunday=6.  Seemed like forever though, those 6 hours. 

All I wanted to do was sleep because to stay awake meant to move.  To move meant to hurt.  And by Saturday afternoon, it hurt to bite into anything.  It hurt to text.  It hurt to watch tv.  This is ON TOP of the body aches I already had!  I have never in my life experienced this.  I prayed to God more than once, to please not let me have Fibromyalgia.  I gotta hand it to you people that have that...you are strong.  You have to be. 

I consider myself pretty strong when it comes to pain but this just sprinted toward me and cut me off at the knees.  And ankles.  And toes.  And hips.  You get the drift.  Never had body aches until I had THESE body aches.  Dammit man, I don't want to go through that EVER again!

So, I missed a couple days of work and stayed in bed the whole time.  The next two days were my days off and I wasn't any more chipper on those days.  The last day though, I made myself get out and go to the store.  It was nice to breathe some fresh air but the sight of snow hurt my eyes and my head.  Now I know how vampires feel. 

Something did happen while I was at the store that was a complete shock and surprise to me.  Here I am...just got down aisle 1 and turning to go up aisle 3...when I start to get this small cramp in the calf of my left leg.  I just keep walking.  As I am going up the aisle though, my right left starts to do the same thing.  I'm pretty sure I got a little anxious at the thought of getting charley horses or something to the effect, in the grocery store.  That would be embarrassing.  Flailing around like a fish out of water...in the middle of Fareway. 

My doctor always told me to take my cholesterol meds before bedtime because it's better to get a cramp at home, at night, than while you're working or walking.  I'm here to tell you...that's BS!  I walked, I cramped, I walked, I cramped, I walked, I cramped.  Eventually, I walked right out of those cramps.  I hate getting cramps in my sleep so I don't know WHY those doctors say to take that medicine at night.  I never did anyway so HA!

Today is day 5.  I am better.  Not 100% as you can imagine.  Looking at the monitors makes me want to twist my own head off and stomp on it about 72 times but I will live.  I will make it through the day.  Besides, my neck hurts so bad today that if I did try to twist my head off, I would have to stop and slap myself for additional neck pain.  So where would I really be, other than in a corner beating myself to death? 

I am signing off for now.  Got lots to catch up on.  I hope you're well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment