2014/01/21

Never thought I was a foodie blogger

Facebook provides me with a lot of ideas that make my eyes light up and my ears perk just like my dogs do when I say the word "treat."  We all know I love baking and I love recipes so what better thing to do than to put some of these "easy peasy" recipes to the test.  

Refrigerated Oatmeal:

I didn't really have a "recipe" for this one.  Just a few notes with some pictures.  How hard can it be, right?  I didn't take any pictures as I made this but I wish now I had.  The notes said to take some oatmeal and put it in the bottom of a mason jar.  Pour milk over the oatmeal.  Since I didn't really know how much milk to use, I put in enough to cover the oatmeal.  After this, it says to use Greek yogurt because it's thicker than other yogurts.  I used Greek Chobani yogurt.  Blueberry for one and peach for the other.  

So the yogurt is added now.  I added a little bit of vanilla to the peach one.  Didn't really have any flavoring that I thought could improve upon blueberries as I love them so.  In the notes, it said to add some chia seeds.  I didn't have chia seeds nor do I plan to go buy them.  I have no interest in them, to be honest.  Put the lids on the jars and shake them well.  And I gave my arms a good workout on this.  Enough so that it got the attention of my husband.  After shaking well, add fruit to the mixture and stir well.  Close up and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.  Before eating, it recommends that you add a little bit of the fruit on top.  I didn't do this as I thought having it mixed in should be sufficient.  

I couldn't wait to get home from work that first morning and try this wonderful looking concoction.  I dig in and scoop a spoonful of the blueberry into my mouth, anticipating something so wonderful, I would have to scream it to the world.  

Nope.  That didn't happen.  What did happen was my mouth full of something that took me 2 days to figure out what it tasted/felt like.  But before giving up, I had to try the peach one.  To be fair, ya know.  So I tasted the peach one.  

Nope.  I want no part of this.  Didn't like it.  Don't want it again.  No thank you.  After a couple of days, I have come to the conclusion that it tastes like oatmeal that has soaked in cold, cold water for a long time and nothing else.  It was thick and just.....THICK.  Don't get me wrong, I could definitely taste the blueberries and the peaches; it just wasn't a good combination.  The texture was literally like I had soaked a cup of flour in a quarter cup of water. 

Big no.  But I wouldn't know if I didn't try, right?


  
This is what my finished products looked like.  PASS!


In my line of work, there are a couple of things that we try to completely stay away from when talking.  We try to refrain from saying "It's quiet," or "I'm bored," and it's just bad karma to say "nothing going on here tonight."  You are absolutely asking for it by saying those things.  So last night, was a "very good night" for us.  

When I wasn't skimming dealing with prisoners, I kept my phone hot by skimming Facebook and updating my "Hay Day" farm.  I have confessed my addiction for that game so it's no surprise I'm still at it.  Keeping my cows, pigs, chickens and sheep fed, milked, and/or sheared, as well as making dairy products, breads, muffins, cookies, pies, sugars, syrup, pancakes, hamburgers and on and on and on. Oh yeah, and planting, harvesting and storing all my pumpkins, indigo, sugar cane, wheat, corn, carrots, and soybeans.  And when my silo and/or barn gets full, I have to sell some stuff at my roadside stand.  I try to keep my prices competitive because I need to get rid of it, not hang onto it.  

It seems I have gotten way off topic here.  I told you I love that game.

While I was perusing the ole Facebook last night, I came across a recipe for "pancakes" that are flour-less.  Interesting.  Especially for a diabetic.  This particular recipe calls for only 2 ingredients.  Yes, two.  Makes me kinda skeptical, how about you?

So I decided I needed to try this recipe because I love pancakes and if I can find a way to eat them healthier, I'm all for that.  Oh yeah...the two ingredients?  One banana and two eggs.  That's it.  See why I was skeptical enough to want to try this?

After work I went directly to the store.  I got some ingredients for a couple different things.  It was so funny too.  I was checking out and the gal says to me, "I can just tell by the items you are buying that you are doing something fun."  I told her about the pancakes and she was very intrigued.  I told her I would let her know, next time I come in, how they turned out.

So here goes.....  I got home and got my two ingredients ready. 


  







At this point, I didn't really want to get my stand mixer out for these two ingredients and I don't even own a hand mixer so I figured I may as well give the ole noodles (my puny arms) a go at it.  



So I sliced the banana into the bowl, added the two eggs and "cut" them together.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, either.  Just having to guess though, I would say that the batter is not supposed to have any lumps in it BUT the best pancake batter does have lumps in it so...maybe I am changing my mind on that.  

At this point, the batter is runny and I am having my doubts about how this is going to turn out.

This may look like three very poorly shaped pancakes but what really happened was me using a 1/2 c. measuring cup to pour the batter and it made a really big pancake.  Like I said, it's runny!  When I flipped it over...thinking "what in the world was I thinking?"...it fell apart.  Boo.  I was a little sad for a moment but it conveniently broke into three parts so that was okay.  These pancakes didn't raise up like normal pancakes do BUT they do raise a little.  All I could smell was eggs though.  I was almost laughing at myself for thinking this could even work.  




And here we have the finished product.  The first thing I did was take a bite of the pancake all by itself.  Nothing on it at all.  It had the texture of a scrambled egg but the taste was FANTASTIC!!  Tasted just like a banana pancake for real.  I was quite surprised and pretty pleased.  I didn't stop there.  I took some peanut butter...as seen in the picture...and put a little bit on a bite and it was like heaven in my mouth.  If you like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, you will flip (pun intended) for these!

Next was the syrup...sugar free in our house is the only way to go.  I didn't even use very much.  Nothing like I do with regular pancakes.  Well...here's what happened.



A mouth watery goodness of love and smiles, wrapped up in a healthy, and simple pancake.  This recipe is definitely a keeper and I don't ever have to feel guilty again about joining my husband when we have breakfast for dinner.

If anyone in your home loves pancakes and likes bananas even a little bit, please make this.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised and your body will thank you.  Water based products and protein packed!  What more can you ask for???

And now...as if all of this hasn't been exciting enough.....I have one more delectable delight to share with you.  I'm sure some of you have seen something like it floating around the internet.  I saw it on Pinterest first and then it popped up on Facebook.  I don't even know what the name of them are so I made up my own.  Boats.  My first favorite I have called Tuna Boats.


These are my ingredients.  The only things I didn't get in the picture was the salt and pepper.  I always, always, always use tuna packed in water.  Never oil.  For any reason.  Open your can of tuna and drain very well.  Sometimes I use a red onion and sometimes a white.  This time I used a quarter of a medium sized white onion.  1 roma because it will go a lot further than you think it will.  I used exactly 2 tablespoons of Miracle Whip.  You can use more.  It depends on how creamy you want yours to be.  I want mine to be healthier so I stopped at the 2 tablespoons.  It was quite enough for me.  


As you can see, I peeled the skin off the cucumber.  You don't have to do that.  It's really the choice of the consumer.  Sometimes I like the skin on my cucumber...like when I'm soaking them in vinegar and water to eat...but not for this.  Cut the cucumber in half and then cut those two pieces in half.


Scoop out the seeds, leaving an indention like a "boat."  I used a spoon to do this.  Next, spoon the tuna and veggie mixture into the cucumber boats.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper (which is optional) and garnish with shredded cheese.  

Mmmmmm these are FABULOUS!  I made them up and plan to eat one every two-three hours.  This is great for my diabetes and great for my caloric intake.  And the cucumber has so much water in it, this is a definite win-win!  

I hope you try this because I think you are going to love it.  After this mixture is done, I am going to use some "flavored" cream cheese and turkey in a boat.  The possibilities are endless!  Let me know what you think of them.

And I will close this out now.  If there is something, in the future, that you want me to try out for you...let me know.  Let's not make it too extravagant though, please.  -_-

Until next time...I hope you enjoyed today's blog and thanks a million for joining me today!





















No comments:

Post a Comment