2013/12/25

It's not always in the presents, but in the presence

Merry Christmas to you and yours.  I got off work at midnight last night and couldn't wait to get home.  As you may or may not know, my husband has been telling me FOR DAYS now, that we aren't opening presents until the 25th!  Hmmph!

Well, when I got off work, it was the 25th technically.  Early 25th but the 25th, all the same.  As I ran through the front yard, I could hear a dog bark at me from inside the house which was very very unusual.  But of course, them seeing me run was probably very very unusual as well!  It must have scared my poor Buddy to death!

So I burst through the front door, expecting to see my lovable, huggable, husband passionately sleeping in his chair...totally brought on by experience alone.  But no, not this time!  There he sat...at my diningroom table...in front of a chainsaw carburetor...grease up to his elbows (literally)...working away as if it was 11 o'clock in the morning on a work day. 

And speaking of work days, he's looking for a job.  He will do just about any odd job/handy man job you can think of.  I did not say handsy man.  He reserves all that for those rare rare moments when I'm in the worst mood in the world or when I'm near death from exhaustion.  So don't be thinking you're gonna get some of that!  HA!  Sometimes I just want to slap myself.

Anyway, his last job was only seasonal and that has ended so anything that can be thrown his way, would be a Godsend to him.  And to us.  I will just thank you in advance right here and now. 

Thank you times sixteen trillion.

"It's the 25th!  It's the 25th!  What ARE you doing sitting at the  diningroom table in a pool of grease??  Wait...WHAT are you doing sitting at the diningroom table in a pool of grease?  WHY??"  You know I'm excited when I excuse my own last sentence.  He gets cleaned up and I go to the bathroom because I don't want to pee myself when I unwrap my goodies! 

Yes, I get that excited!!!

We get our presents out from under this year's "tree," which just so happens to be a turkey spray that is hanging from Q's memory shelf and set them out on the floor.  The dogs are as excited as I am.  They just don't understand this ritual of ripping into all this paper and not getting in trouble for it.  They don't even want to take the chance.  WE have to unwrap it enough for them to get their snouts in there and realize that it's for them and then they grab and go. 
Before we can change our minds!!!

So...the dogs got raccoon and skunk toys and they really do love them.  They got too many treats.  Watching Annie sniff the presents was so funny to see.  I almost videoed it but really just wanted to have this time with my little family. 

Keeping those memories inside my head and my heart.
We first opened our gifts from Kathy, Jackie and Zach.  Quintin had a huge box full of stuff that he was so surprised and so happy to get.  It seems I can't keep him in enough body wash/shampoo so that helped so much AND it was the exact kind he loves!!!  BONUS!  Good job you guys!  He also got a nice new jacket to wear.  He says he will use that as his "good" jacket but I know how this goes.  He already owns two of this exact jacket.  One navy blue that smells like fox piss (I wonder how THAT happened!) and the other, hunter orange that has blood spatter and God know what else on it.  Sometimes I wonder if he even wears shirts under these things.  He will literally wear them as far as the bedroom. 
He says it's because I keep the house cold but I don't.  Nothing wrong with a top temp of 69 degrees.  It's warmer than a lot of people I know!  Besides, we own somewhere around 78 blankets.  Is it too much to ask to get a damn blanket while you're slaving so hard at watching tv???  Anyway, he loves it all and says that jacket will be his good jacket.  Whatever he thinks he means by that!  I will let you know...possibly in my next blog...when he gets it dirty.
I got a nice kitchen oven glove, dish towel and dishrag set from Jackie Jean.  It's very cute and is already hanging in my kitchen.  I needed those bad so she did well.  The three of them went together and got me my FAVORITE body wash and lotion from B&BW.  Country Chic, oh how I love that!  I got a purple wet/dry vac that goes in my car and I can't wait to use it!  I still have some sugar on my back floorboard, left over from my last big shopping trip.  As soon as it's warm enough, I'm there!  And it's purple!!!  Did I mention that???  Love, love, love it!
Kathy always gives the best presents!
And then...wrapped up in the bottom of this bag...was a beautiful and soft book...a journal.  A leatherette journal.  I couldn't stop "petting" it.  I even made Quintin pet it!  It is amazing to touch.  And I will cherish it to the end of time.  And use it until it falls apart.  Thank you Kathy, Jackie and Zach!  We love our gifts and we love you very much.  I am so blessed to have my family in my life.
Now...now it was time for Quintin's and mine gift exchange.  Here's why I was so excited about this year's Christmas gifts.  First off, it isn't every year that we have the money to get each other something to open ON Christmas.  We always...no matter what...have a card for each other, but not always Christmas presents.  And that is of our choosing.  Because we WANT to do for everybody that we possibly can before thinking of ourselves. 
Another reason I was so excited is because Quintin didn't do any of my shopping himself.  Not an ounce of it.  I had told him what I wanted and he was smart enough to marry a woman that has such an amazing friend like Sheila, to accept his challenge of doing his chopping...I mean shopping...for him.  He told her what he wanted for me and gave me the money, and she did his shopping for me...and had it all wrapped before meeting me for lunch because she didn't think I would "not look".....and let me pass on the money to her...which ended up being cheaper than he thought...by a lot (I think she should do my shopping next year)...and I got to transport it home. 
Anyway, I about lost myself in that last paragraph, how 'bou chew???  The whole point of that sentence was just to say that I knew it was going to be fantastic because Sheila herself is fantastic!  And her gift buying is fantastic!  After all, her last gift to me was a treat to Orange Leaf and I have been steadily having an affair with them since!!!
Quintin opened his card first.  I like watching his face as he reads what I write to him because I can see how much the words mean to him.  The card I picked out was a sentimental, I-love-you kinda card but he still chuckled at the end.  I don't know why.  And I didn't ask.  Sometimes I'm afraid of what his answer will be. Ask me sometime about the "Aleve" conversation!!!
Now it was my turn.  Of course I picked out the card I wanted him to give me or I may not have even got one...and it's very important to me...but what he writes in it, means more to me than anything in the world.  So...as I get to the end of his love note, he kinda gives it away by saying how he looks forward to me making him "goodys" on my new present.  Hahaha I couldn't even hold it in.  But I was still excited!
He opens his gifts to see that he has a brand new pair of house shoes that he has needed for several months, his own blanket with a fox on it...that he wants to make a quilt rack for because this walmart blanket with the fox on it is too nice to use...seriously??? and the thing he has been waiting for for a long time.  A new sawza.  Is that how you spell it?  I know that's how you say it and it's good enough for me.  AND bonus...it was in Iowa Hawkeye colors so that made me perfectly happy buying it for him!  He also got a package of 10 flashlights for his trapping seasons.  He will never lose one again without having another for backup.  At least he shouldn't!!!  Maybe now he will leave mine be!
I wonder if there were any purple ones in that package...
I love love love all my gifts.  I got the "Pink" CD that I have been wanting so badly since it came out...many many months ago.  I almost bought that for myself the other day when I was shopping!  I also got three new stoneware cookie sheets that I am ecstatic about!  Now I can get rid of three crappy sheets and next year's baking will be a BREEZE!  I also got a Happy New Year's present, which is a treadmill.  A used treadmill but a very nice used treadmill.  It does everything except take the cookies out of the oven!  January 1st, I have a long date with this one.
The beginning of something very very beautiful!
So Christmas was wonderful in so many ways.  Not only because of the presents but because of the thoughts and actions that led up to this day.  The feelings from goodie platter delivery day that have stayed in and warmed my heart every day since.  The many more Merry Christmas's that have been spoken than usual.  The love in people's hearts and they give to those that have nothing to give back.  The deep feelings that I feel from my husband when he looks into my eyes for no reason at all, and smiles. 
One of my 2014 goals is to feel like Christmas as much as possible.  I hope you will join me!
Before closing, I would like to point out that this is blog #199 for me.  Blog #200 will be about my next "thing."  Something that is near and dear to my heart.  If you remember, blog #100 was when "The Gift" was born.  I have more in my heart to give so....well, you will just have to wait!
Until next time.....thanks for reading and many Christmas wishes for you and yours from me and mine.  <3



No comments:

Post a Comment