2013/12/20

It's a wonderful life


I don’t even know where to begin my story tonight.  I have experienced so many emotions this week that I feel like I have been on a roller coaster.  This has been delivery week for “The Gift” and it is one I will possibly never forget for the rest of my life. 

The sole purpose of “The Gift” was to make people smile.  To make them know that someone out there thinks about them and notices what they do and that they are loved.  But I must tell you, it has turned out to be so much more than that for me. 

I love the look of surprise that I get from people that don’t know anything about the blog; about “The Gift;” or even about my love for baking.  I have to admit though, “You didn’t have to do this” has always been the phrase that makes me cringe.  No, I didn’t have to do this.  I wanted to do this.  I still want to do this.  I am going to want to do this for the rest of my life. 

“And as long as you can remember me, I want you to smile.” - Shellie Weed.  I think I’ll have that put on my grave marker someday.  I kinda like it!

One gal…(and you know who you are!!!)…said to me when I handed her a platter of cookies, “Oh Shellie, are you sure?  Is there anyone else that you think would need these?”  Yes and no.  Yes there are thousands of others out there that I think would need platters of smiles.  But no.  Not this platter of smiles.  Because this one was made especially for you.  Because someone loves you.  And your dog.  Even though it wanted to eat me. 

I see tears in people’s eyes when they see that someone thought enough of them to do something like this.  Sometimes I see excitement in their actions.  A lot of the time I can see that they can’t wait until I’m gone so they can rip into the platter of goodies.

I get a lot of surprised reactions and that does nothing more than confuse me and that never makes for good blog fodder because you have too many surprised/confused people and it’s like the blind leading the blind to find that chicken with it‘s head cut off.  Okay, okay, maybe it IS good blog fodder after all!

I know I am just as much at fault as anyone else but what I think gets me is the confusion on their faces.  I mean the honest-to-God confusion of it all.  Like they didn’t think anyone really cared, or they didn’t think anyone really noticed.  Or they didn’t think they were worth the trouble.  More often I think people think that others don’t really and truly care.  And I’m here to prove them wrong because I know so many caring people. 

If you are one of those people that had a platter sent or received a platter, I want you to know that not only does someone love and care about you, but you are worth so much more than that platter of goodies that  was sent or received.  You are gold to me and to a lot of other people.

I have gotten to meet some people through “The Gift” project that I probably wouldn’t have met otherwise.  The other day, I went to a house I had never been to…asked for a person I had no knowledge of existing before this year‘s project…introduced myself…explained how “The Gift” came to and why I was at the door with this plate of goodies…and this person hugged me.  They were so grateful.  And my heart was singing the song of my people… ”Hallelujah!”

By the way, that is my most favoritest song on earth.  Just in case you were curious.  I have so many fond memories of  Mrs. Vogel working with us relentlessly on this in Chorus class every year; to get it perfect.  And then the day of our concert, she would invite anyone from the public to come up and join us in song.  It gives me the chills and sometimes even makes me cry.   And this time of year, I find myself singing it to myself a lot but it really brings it home for me when I catch myself singing it after doing something for someone else. 

So I have had teary eyed people, surprised people, confused people, gracious people, …and everyone of them…in their own way…gets to me.  They can turn that one emotion that I can trying my hardest to control, and twist it around until I think I am just going to lose it right there in front of God and everybody. 

I thought about this all the way home the other night, from Bedford.  The feeling in my heart was something so inexplicable.  It makes me want to get one of those megaphones and scream to the whole world how my heart is over-flowing with kindness, compassion, empathy, and with love; and if we all could just try a little bit harder…try to be a little bit more understanding…try to have a little bit more patience…the difference in our communities, our world, would be more than outstanding.

I delivered a platter to a business today for someone that didn’t necessarily ask for their name to be given, but I made an executive decision and told them anyway…and this man…as he took the plate from my hands…bowed his head and said “God bless her.”   I near fell to the floor and wept.  I mean that’s all he said “God bless her” and I almost lost control.  I never let myself cry until I was between towns but cry I did.  Many, many times. 

One platter that I delivered, I told the gal why her and her husband’s name got put on the list and how the community supported them and felt like they couldn’t do enough for them and she thanked me and hugged me.  She thanked me for the cookies; thanked me for my words.  She was completely taken by surprise and that surprised even me because in my heart of hearts, I thought I was probably one of many that have brought goodies to their door.

And that brings to mind yet another reason why I love this project.  Because when I tell them the “why’s,” they aren’t just words to me.  They are feelings.  Every cookie, every platter, that leaves my hands…is 100% full of love, kindness, care, compassion and I always try to put a pinch or two of strength in there…

Without others, we would sure get bored, wouldn’t we?  On my way home the other day, I stopped on a gravel road and let myself sob.  And it had nothing to do with the fact that I was completely exhausted.  And it wasn’t because I had just experienced almost every emotion imaginable within a few short hours.  It wasn’t even because I made someone smile that day. 

I sobbed because I felt affirmation that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing.  I sobbed because what I had taken away from all of these people this week, has made me look at life in a whole new light.  I have a little bit of new direction.  I love a lot more people than I ever thought I would.  For no other reason than because I have so much more room in my heart.

I met babies this week.  Sweet, soft, cuddly babies that I wouldn’t have gotten to meet otherwise.  I found people.  I made friends.  I “re-introduced” myself to someone I hadn’t seen for years and years and as I left her home, watched her standing there with her platter, while her children were asking questions about who I was and why I brought them cookies…and more importantly, when could they have those cookies…Teary eyed, I said very loudly and directly to God, “There’s got to be more I can do.” 

It was then, I grabbed my phone from my bag to see I had a missed call.  Upon returning the phone call I realized that God was just waiting for me to ask because my next “thing” was already in the works.  I just needed to return that call.  God certainly works in the most mysterious ways.  And I am counting my blessings tonight and so thankful that He does.  In the words of one guy that received a platter, “This is a good day.”  For me, a good week.  A great week. 

Until next time…thanks for reading!!

Thank you God for allowing me the time and the energy to do this project.  Thank you for bringing those people in my life that help me accomplish this goal.  Thank you for holding my hand when I go to a door of a stranger, in hopes they don’t run me out of there for doing what some would never do.  Thank you for giving me the strength to face my fears each and every time I do this project, and all other projects too.  Most of all, thank you for giving me the heart to do this every day.  Without you God, I am nothing; but feeling you beside me makes me feel strong and confident and able to tackle whatever is put before me.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment