2012/07/08

Wedding bliss after all

For the past twenty four hours, I have had the song "Don't Know Much," on my mind.  You know the one....."I don't know much.....but I know I love you....That may be all I need...to know."  Beautiful song.  I heard it yesterday at my cousin's wedding.  And what a BEAUTIFUL wedding it was!  It's been a long time since I've been to a wedding where you can see love in the couple's eyes.

My cousin Thomas and I have a "special" relationship.  I really didn't get to know him until we were older. I mean, I have known him my entire life but didn't really KNOW him until later.  A few years before he retired, he and I started to become acquainted with each other better and I realized just how awesome this man really is.  He has a huge heart.....he just likes to keep it buried so deep, that nobody will ever get to it and find out that he has feelings about a lot of things and truly cares about those around him.  Don't you dare tell him I told you this, either!!  

After Thomas retired, we met up almost everyday for coffee.  Not on purpose really.  We just both ended up at the same coffee place.  He would give me shit.  I would give him shit right back.  The perfect family relationship, right?  Right!!  Thomas named me "The Queen," because............well I don't really know WHY he named me that for sure.............I think it was because he was amazed at how I could be so mean to the "men in my life," but still always have one!  -_-  I am sure you remember me saying a while back that I am not the easiest person in the world to live with!!  I think somewhere in there, is how "The Queen" was born.  

Although.........if I were being treated like a Queen, I would still be with my first husband, right?  Right??  RIGHT???  I rest my suitcase!!  Anyway, no matter where I saw Thomas and no matter what we were doing, I would always say "Hey, there's my favorite cousin.........but don't tell your sister I said that!"  And he would say "There's the Queen!"  I love that man.  

I am not too sure how long ago.....around a year ago though.........Thomas had a stroke.  A bad stroke.  He was in the hospital for quite some time and has had to undergo a lot of physical therapy.  He has had set-backs and steps forward.  One thing that is for sure, is the constant love and support he has had from his family.  From his wonderful (then) girlfriend Rebecca, to his daughter, mother, son, sister, brother-in-law, grandkids, nephews and many many others.  I am not going to try to name everyone because I will surely miss someone and that's no my intention.  

Anybody who loved this man, was there for him.  Spiritually, emotionally, and physically.  When I got the call that Thomas had had the stroke, I felt like I was the one that was paralyzed.  This wasn't supposed to happen to HIM!  He was too nice of a man.  He seemed like he was in good health.  Apparently he wasn't.  I was shocked.  I was traumatized.  I didn't even know what to do.  But cry.  The tears came easily and I prayed to God that Thomas live.  He had so much more to give to the world and so much more to say.  And let's face it, I love everything that man says!!


So, it's been quite a haul for him and his family but he was able to marry the woman of his dreams yesterday.  In a most fabulous wedding.  Between his son and his new bride, he got to rest during the ceremony and he got to stand for the parts that he needed to stand for.  Seeing those two up there, looking into each others' eyes was awesome.  Of course, I was crying from the time I saw Thomas walk in the room.  He looked so handsome with his tuxedo on and his head all shaved.  


Nothing makes me happier than to see someone I love, get what they want.  Something they need.  So backing up a little bit, I attended the wedding with Matilda and Jeannie.  None of us had ever met the bride-to-be yet so we didn't know what to expect.  I have heard nothing but good things about her though and I know that she has been nothing short of a rock for Thomas as he approaches and jumps the hurdles in his life.  So the bride-to-be makes her entrance into the room and of course, we all have to stand.  This is fine and dandy.....except for all I can see is a man.  I looked at Matilda and we both mouthed the words, "She must be short!"


Finally she and her father make their way to the front of the church.  She is wearing a most gorgeous white gown and a tiara.  She is positively gorgeous.  Wow, good score cousin, good score!!  I have to be honest though and say that after I saw her...........mind you this was my first time seeing her.........my first thought was "Is she old enough to vote yet?"  Oh I laugh at myself.  What I wouldn't give to look as young as she is.  


And I don't know how old she is but whatever her age is, she looks incredible!  Unless of course she's only eighteen.  Then I would have to say that she looks her age!  Ha!  Watching one of my favorite people in life, marry the woman that he is in love with, was one of my favorite things in life.  He always joked with me and told me that he would never, under any circumstances, get married again.  Ha ha cousin, you lied!


During the ceremony, they asked the friends and family to bow their heads and say a prayer for the couple.  It seemed to me like they gave us about ten seconds to do this...........and I am being nice on that time frame.  My prayer for them lasted much longer than what the preacher allowed for.  I couldn't stop asking God to help them with everything they would need for the rest of their marriage...for the rest of their lives. What I really needed was about an hour to say the prayer for them that I want for them.  

That would have been uncomfortable.  Someone surely would have thought I had fallen asleep!  Anyway, there was a piece that was sung and it was called "The Prayer."  It was maybe the most beautiful song I've ever heard.  I don't know who sings it.  I don't even know how to get a copy of it.  All I know is that this song was amazing.  It should be played in EVERY beautiful wedding!  It should be a law.  Thanks cousin, for introducing me to that song.

After the ceremony was over, we got to go through and say our congratulations to the new couple.  Of course I introduced myself as The Queen.  She may as well get used to it just like everyone else, right?  Not only is this woman gorgeous, but she is a great addition to the family and compliments Thomas so nicely.  I can't say enough nice things.  I hope to get to know her a little better now that we are family.  

We were all given bubbles for when the bride and groom came out of the church and there was just enough wind that I think all the bubbles went the other way.  That's okay though. The breeze was very welcome after all the heat we've been suffering through.  The newlyweds and some of the younger members of the wedding party climbed up on the back of an old fire truck and took a ride around town.  Very nice and very beautiful.  I will hold that day in my heart for the rest of my life.  

Thank you cousin Thomas.........for including me in your very sweet, very special day.  I love you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment