2012/12/13

A fun day in the life

The following is my days account for 12-12-12:

Exciting day in store.  Going to Omaha to see my nephew, Jake, whom I haven't seen in several years, his bride, Renee, of 5(+) years, and their A-DOR-A-BLE little guy H.  It's a wonder I have slept AT ALL in the past week.  AND...to sweeten the deal... Jake's mom Laurie.  I love spending time with her.  She's a "former sister-in-law" that I won't ever let go of.  She will always be family to me. 

So, I wake up and get ready to go and realize that I have plenty of time before we leave.  It's like 6:15am and I'm supposed to meet Kathy and Sam at 8:00.  Yeah, I was a little excited.  I cleaned my kitchen.  That is something I haven't been able to do for a long time.  At least not to my liking because I had platters, plastic wrap, chocolate chips, sugar, flour, orange slice candy, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla..........oh I think you get the drift!!!.....EVERYWHERE!!! Those are no more.  I can rest my head a little over that now.

I did 2 loads of laundry.  Washed, dried, folded, put away.  I played with the dogs.  Gave them their usual treats after making them do ridiculous tricks for them (who do you think actually does the housework...not me surely).

I was sitting at my desk, organizing and getting all excited about our trip when I hear a loud BANG!  Buddy looked at me and I looked at Buddy.  I stand up and announce....."I'm getting the gun" loudly enough for anybody that could hear ME in a normal tone of voice, should they be creeping around in MY house.  I get the gun...I load it...and I start sneaking around my house.  

Here is what I have found to hinder my sneakiness.  My dog follows me to every room in the house and then JUST as I am ready to jump around the corner, pointing my gun (just like they do in the movies ya know), the dog runs INTO the room with his tail wagging.  Way to announce my arrival Buddy.  Nobody in the kitchen.  Nobody in the laundry room.  Nothing has fallen on the floor.  Upstairs we go.

Nobody in the future master bedroom.  Nobody in the wreck-room that is my future potty domain.  On to the current bedroom.  Nobody.  There's only 1 room left and it's my closet.  Nobody.  What the heck???  I KNOW it came from inside the house.  I decide that I can't worry about this now.  I must get to Omaha.  The burglar...or whatever it was...would just have to wait until Q gets home or until I get home.  Otherwise, the dog it will deal with.

To the gas station for coffee and fuel.  On to the corner to pick up the girls.  And now...away we go!!!  Cookie drop along the way and as we are out in the middle of nowhere, I get the worse stomach cramps you could imagine.  I thought I was going to have to stop the car, get out, and do some sit ups in the middle of the road.  Turns out, I had gas.  HA!  Aren't you glad you read these blogs of mine??? 

We get to Omaha and go to the Farmers (Old) Market.  We joke around about not forgetting to put money in the meters because the last time we were there, we DID put money in the meters and we didn't have to.  We weren't making that mistake THIS time by golly!!  I park right in front of the candy shop and run to the door.  This is one of my favorite places to be in Omaha!  I almost pushed myself right through the glass insert because it was locked.  It didn't open until 11.  It was only 10.  Crap.  The store next door is Tannenbaums and it's amazing.  The said in the window said they didn't open until 11 but the other sign above the door said "Come in, we're open." 

There's a dilemma.  Do we try the door or not???  I tried it and the door magically opened.  It was magnificent.  As it always is.  My mom always wanted a room in her house be Christmas all year long.  She would have loved this store!  I found the things I needed...with no help from Kathy or Sam.  It's hard enough to buy something for someone whom you don't have a clue what their likes or dislikes are without having 2 people follow you saying, "What about this? Would he like this? What does he like?"  It was fun but Sam and I both about peed our pants from laughing.  Literally.  And we had to seperate ourselves.

When we get done with that store, we still have about 30 minutes to wait.  We decided to walk up to the end of the block to use the bathroom at Scooters coffeehouse.  Ended up it was 2 blocks away and away we went.  We relieved ourselves and sat down to a drink and/or snack.  We are all relaxed with our stuff piled up on the floor, the table, the chairs...and I am gazing outside at the stores.  I see a guy pull up in his truck.  He gets out and starts feeding his meter with quarters.  "OMG we didn't put money in the meter!!!"  I've never seen three women react so quickly as we did.  In 2 seconds flat, we had our stuff in the trash, bags and purses on our arms and out the door we flew! 

At the end of the first block, what do my wandering eyes see?  A police car.  Back in a spot.  I told the girls "let's try not to have one of those Parking Wars moments, ok?"  The whole time I'm thinking, "I will knock a bitch out if they take my car."  The closer we get to the candy store, I don't see my car.  Seriously???  And there, I finally catch a glimpse of it.  I almost ran and kissed it but I refrained.  You're welcome.

1 quarter bought us 20 minutes and it was only 10:49.  It would be close but I could do this.  Finally 11:00 on the nose, they open the door.  We rush in and buy this candy that I have to have because I PROMISED someone I wouldn't leave town without it.  Then I had to spend $20 for someone with no knowlege of what the "receiving party" liked or didn't like.  I had to add stuff on a couple of times but I got it.  A police man walks in and my eyes got wide.  Thank God we reached this store before he did!  UGH!!!  I just said in my normal tone of voice, "I put money in my meter."

He bought candy and Kathy schmoozed him a little bit and then he left.  As I am finishing up my purchases, Kathy sticks her head in the door and says (very loudly I might add), "You only have 1 minute left!!!!"  I RUN for the door.  And the meter expires!  I jump in, start the car and have it in reverse before the girls can get their second legs in!  PHEW!!!  Next time, someone else is driving!!

We wind our way through the city and find a Target because we are NOT showing up to meet our baby nephew/great nephew without A PRESENT!!!  Purchases paid for and on to Season's Chinese Buffet.  Where.....this is no lie.....no exaggeration.....Kathy and Sam witnessed someone's underwear laying on the floor.....in front of the buffet.  And to top it off, a lady came over, picked them up, put them IN HER POCKET and went to her table and ate lunch. 

I don't know WHY she had underwear running loose amongst her person.  She was clearly NOT wearing a skirt or dress.  And I don't know WHY she would just put them in her pocket.  I promise you, if I ever have to carry underwear in my pocket...for ANY reason...and they fall out...they are staying there.  I am not even laying claim to them.  No thank you, no how. 

After Sam decides she isn't going to puke her 3 bites of food up (because her pregant stomach doesn't like anything these days), we move stuff and start wrapping the items we purchased for baby H.  How funny do you think we looked pulling scissors, tape and wrapping paper out of our purses?  Guess what.  Not enough paper.  Now we have to go to Walmart because it's on our way.  I'm exhausted already.

To Walmart we go.  We buy paper (and of course a couple of other things) and head to the car.  On top of the truck is where we started wrapping.  And then the wind got involved.   So here I am with my Target purchase, wrapping it in the Walmart parking lot.  I am wearing pink camo pants and a black wind breaker.  The poster child for "The People of Walmart."

We finally get to Laurie's house....wait, did I say house?  I meant mansion.  It looked just exactly like a house when we pulled up.  But then.....I can't even explain it.  It was like something you would only see in a Harry Potter movie.  The house never ended.  Room after room after room after floor after room after floor.  And it was ALL magnificence.  Is that a word?  Magnificense?  Well it is now if it wasn't before.  Laurie, I know you're reading this and I know you're laughing.  But it's true.  Your house is amazing and I'm pretty sure that basement room is in another zip code.

We had sooooo much fun visiting and meeting and playing with and just listening; to every thing they said and everything they did.  I wish I could have made the time stand still.  Sadly enough, I could not.  It was so nice to see Jake again.  He has really grown up to be a wonderful man, husband and daddy.  Not that there was ever any doubts.  Sure wish they lived closer.

And then it was time to leave.  So we head out to deliver these cookies.  Just so happened that the next delivery place was less than 5 minutes from Laurie's.  We were going to sing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" to this gal.  She used to live in Bedford and worked for my dad at the Sheriff's Office.  Nobody home.  I think Kathy and Sam were really happy about that because they didn't want to sing any more than I did!  HA!

Dinner at Applebees.  Where the water tasted like crap and people don't have to take care of their kids.  Sam announced that after seeing Harrison and how beautiful and great he is, she wants a boy.  Good luck with that. 

Delivered the last platter of "Omaha cookies" to my friend Annie.  I hadn't seen her in years!!  She looked as great as she always has.  Still looks 12 of course, damn her.  Her and I have a lot in common when it comes to our families so I will be keeping in close contact with her.  Sometimes we need people from the outside of the circle to walk in and just be there.  I hope she knows that no matter what she's going through, I'm right here.  -_-

We made it home safe and sound.  Sam asked me why there was so much traffic on highway 92 last night.  I told her it was because she's pregnant.  Since that's the reason for everything.  She told us that she doesn't feel special because so many women are pregnant right now.  Good luck finding a time when you're the only one preggos lady!  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Got home just in time to start some more laundry.  Quintin doesn't understand WHY we have so much laundry.  I told him that ONE of us (and it doesn't seem to be him) likes to wear CLEAN clothes.  Ugh!  Off to bed I go! 

And how was YOUR 12-12-12?????

P.S. I did leave A LOT out of this.  Like when I screamed at that little old lady for driving

S

L

O

W

Or when I wanted to drag race down the strip (Omaha strip!) and got stopped by a red stop light.

Be very glad I left some stuff out.  Even YOU would think twice about knowing me!

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm way behind but I just read this (trying to catch up, but probably never will). It's so funny! It was great seeing you girls too! I seriously need more days of laughing like that!

    ReplyDelete