2012/12/28

Cousins

It would seem I am feeling chatty today and of course, nobody to chat with at the moment!

Lately, on Facebook, I have been noticing a lot of pictures of kids and their cousins.  Whether it's for Christmas or just spending time together.  It got me thinking (look out, this can be scary) about my nieces and nephews and how they all get along good and are friends.  From the time they were little to now, as adults, they all get along good.  I love that so much.  (Oh a lesson I could take from that!) 

When I was younger and we had little kids running around our house all the time, I didn't really even think about the relationships these kids had or would ever have with each other. 

This, in turn, got me to thinking about my own cousins and the relationships I did or didn't have with them.  I had cousins that I saw almost every day and I had cousins that I only saw once a year (and sometimes not that much) at family reunions.  Some lived far far away in distant lands only to be discovered in my golden years!

Some of the cousins that I saw nearly every day have turned out to be like sisters to me.  I'm not saying I don't love my cousins.  I do.  All of them.  Even the ones I don't like.  But the ones that were there to help get me through those little things that felt like huge things, well... bonds were created and those things are just different, ya know?

I have written before about how I always looked forward to my Weed family reunion because I got to see some cousins that I only got to see there.  Lots of times I catch myself thinking about playing hide-n-seek in Grandma & Grandpa Weed's huge home or playing house out in the sheds out back, all the while trying not to get stung by the many wasps and bees.  (I think I dodged a bullet there)

I also catch myself sometimes thinking how I wished we could have stayed closer through the years.  I mean, WHY was that reunion the only time I got to see those kids?  Cousins are so very important in our lives.  I wished our parents could have seen that.  But I'm not placing blame on anyone.  Times were different.  There wasn't the internet to keep us connected.  Long distance was something you paid for "per" call. 

And today, it is nothing to live in Bedford and "run" to Creston (55 miles?) to go shopping, have an outing for dinner, or even visit someone.  When I was little, we only got to see Creston (and that was big for me) when we drove through to get Kentucky Fried Chicken to take to Grandma & Grandpa's house. 

My dad used to take me school shopping out in Omaha and boy did I think that was special!!!  Big roads, big trucks, big stores.....and I thought I was a big shot, if only for a little bit.  We would stop at dad's sister's house and visit,  Maybe stay for lunch.  They didn't have kids my age there BUT they had kids that played with me.  Cousins that made sure I had a good time while I was there. 

They let me beat on the "electric piano" that I didn't know was called an organ.  They took me outside and we played with the collie dog.  Wish I could remember that dog's name.  Sure was beautiful.  My uncle was a photographer and I still have some pictures of me and that dog.  I had beautiful pants on.  Either plaid or polka dot, not sure.  Oh the days of yore!!!

I guess what I am trying to get at is...don't take your cousins for granted.  And don't let your kids take their cousins for granted.  They may turn out to be some of the best friends they will ever have.  I am going to be a little better at strengthening some bonds myself.  Try to keep your memories current and be a friend to them.  I promise you...in the end...it will really pay off!

To all my cousins out there that are reading this.....Thank you!  And I love you.  And who knows...you just might be one of my best friends in the whole world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment