2013/01/10

Endless energy


Good evening!  I finally got a chance to sit down for a little bit.  I have been on the go since I got home from work!  

One of my 2013 goals is to get healthier and get off that damned insulin…..you know, that insulin I haven’t ever gotten a refill of because my doctor didn’t think my blood was enough.  She wanted to SEE me too.  They tell me this AFTER I had left town.  No matter.  I am not going to need it by the time I see her anyway.  And yes, I will be seeing her at the end of the month.  

Another one of my goals for 2013 is to be off the Metformin.  And to be totally honest with you…I am terrified of that one.  I have been on this medicine for years and I love it.  It helps me control my appetite as well as helping keep my blood sugar down.  Well, when I eat right anyway.  -_-  Don’t call me and chew me out Kay!  I am getting better at it!!!

Moving on…..Today was my second day of working out to the C25K.  That is “couch to 5K” for those of you that don’t know.  I absolutely love it.  You see, jogging is something that I LOVE.  The problem is…it HATES me!  It never fails…..if I go out and jog on the road, I will vomit.  Profusely but not projectile.  Although…..I have ALWAYS wanted to…..just once…..projectile vomit!  I bet you’re glad to know this information, huh?

The C25K thing works perfectly right for me because I only job for a set amount of time and then it’s right back to brisk walking.  Totally doable for a fat lady like me!  We’ll see as it progresses, how I do.  As of right now, I am in love with it.  The dogs are hilarious when I am working out.  Annie stands on her hind legs and I grab her front paws and we dance.  Then Buddy wants in on the action and he stands on his hind legs but he won't let me dance with him while holding his legs.  He just dances in his own space.  When I really get into it, I am "barking" orders like, "Don't stop moving team!  YOU could be the team leader if you would just keep moving!  We only have 5 minutes left team, 5 MINUTES!!!  We can do this!  Follow me!"  

Oh yes, if any of my neighbors looked in, they would be calling for the little white jacket and ordering up a vacation for me!  I'm sure of it!!!!  The dogs love it when exercise time is over though.  

I took my stinky self and headed for the kitchen.  Time to make some homemade laundry soap.  I guess this stuff has been around a long long time.  Nobody ever made it in my house.  I remember lugging those stoopid boxes of Cheer home from the grocery store.  I wish my mom would have made THIS stuff.  Of course, I would have just had to lug that crap home from the store too.  Have I ever mentioned I hate going to the grocery store???

For those of you that think I’m a regular Suzi Homemaker…*cough Wanda cough* you’re wrong.  I prefer Betty Crocker better! HA!  No really, at first I guess I thought I was just cheap.  But I’m really not cheap.  Frugal?  For the record, I thought I better look this word up.  

Frugal: economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful.  entailing little expense;  requiring  few resources; meager; scanty.  
Synonyms: thrifty, chary, provident, careful, prudent, penny-wise, scrimping;  miserly,  Scotch, penny-pinching  scant, slim, sparing, skimpy.
(Thank you dictionary.com)

I don't know about that "Scotch" thing though.  I thought that was some kind of drink!  So whaddya think?  Am I frugal?  Yeah, I agree.  I also make my own homemade Clorox clean-up and Febreze.  I love them and use them all the time.  

I will post the recipes I use.  You can use them or not.  It’s totally up to you.  

DIY Laundry Soap (given to me by a friend)
2 bars Fells Naptha Soap (.98 @ Wal-Mart).  This is an old fashioned washing soap

Arm & Hammer washing soda (55 oz box $5.95)  Don’t confuse this with baking soda.  They are different.

Borax (55 oz box $3.95)  This will be enough for 4 batches of laundry soap.  This is a natural alternative to color safe bleach for 115 years.

5-6 one quart canning jars.

In a large sauce pan, gently warm 6 cups of water.  Grate both bars of soap using a box grater.  Add to warming water and stir until dissolved.  Keep this on low.  DO NOT let it boil or you will end up with soap suds everywhere!  I have not done this YET!

Once the soap is melted (and it takes a while constantly stirring), take your pan off the burner and stir in 2 cups of borax and 2 cups of washing soda.  Stir until combined.  Spoon equally into 4 quart jars.  Add enough water to come up to the shoulder of the jar.  

Put the lids on them and let sit overnight.  

The soap will harden into what feels like cornmeal mush in the bottom of the jar.  In the bowl of your stand mixer (I use my Kitchen Aid), or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, pour liquid from one jar.  Take a knife and sort of slice up the soap left in the bottom and add to the bowl.  You can take a couple tablespoons of hot water and swish around the bottom of the jar to get it all out (if you’re frugal like that).  

Starting on low and gradually increasing to medium high, whip the soap until it becomes fluffy and pale yellow.  It will look like a yellow whipped cream when it is ready.  Then, put it back into the jar and seal it up.  Repeat with the other 3 jars.  

Use a tablespoon at a time.  This is very concentrated.  It IS HE friendly.  Just put it in the drum rather than in the drawer.  My friend Shan uses it in her front loader all the time.  This soap will have a citrus smell to it.  You can add essential oils like tea tree or lavender or whatever suits your fancy.  I do not.  Ever.  I like this smell and my husband actually likes it too.  Go figure.

So for less than $15, you can wash clothes for months…..maybe even a year!  I tell you folks, this stuff is pretty great.   Now…..the ONLY complaint I have about it is this: When I wash my dark clothes in cold water, it has left a little residue.  I seem to be the only person in America that this has happened to though.  I wonder if water pressure has anything to do with it.  Hmmmmm.  So that’s that.

NO DISHWASHING LIQUID?  
1 tablespoon of liquid laundry detergent in a basin of hot water will cut grease on dirty dishes equally well.  
To tackle cooked on gunk, fill the grungy pan with hot water and a tablespoon of fabric softener and soak before sudsing in your detergent bath that is described above.  Rinse all items.
(Thank you to whatever magazine I cut this tidbit out of)

FAKE CLOROX CLEAN-UP
¼ c. bleach
1 teaspoon laundry soap
Water to fill the bottle
Shake.  Voila!  Done!

FAKE WINDEX
1/8 c. white ammonia
¼ c. rubbing alcohol
1 drop laundry detergent
Water to fill bottle

FAKE FEBREEZE
1/8 c. liquid fabric softener
2 tablespoons baking soda
Hot water to fill bottle

And here’s one I haven’t used yet so I don‘t know if it works.  You’d think I’d keep this one in barrels!

SPIDER KILLER
1 c. vinegar
1 c. pepper powder (what is this????)
1 teaspoon oil (vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon liquid soap (like soft soap)
Put in spray bottle and spray outside doors and windows.  

Thanks to whatever blog I was reading about cleaning that gave me those fancy shmancy little gems.  And that is the conclusion of this blog.  Ohhhhhh by the way, I did make about eight mini loaves of the best and easiest banana bread on the planet when I was done with the soap!!!  Just 3 ingredients!!!  Aren’t I just amazing?????  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment