2012/06/08

Being a donor

Lately, my blogs have been kinda "turned down" in mood and tonight's blog probably isn't going to be any better.  Sorry if I'm bringing ya'll down but I feel the need to talk about a certain thing here and I don't really know why.  Maybe it's because I don't know much about it.
Recently there was a three year old little boy in our town.  He was out in the yard playing and they had a tree that was rotten.....well the thirty mph winds that day made part of the tree fall.  Yes, you guess it.  Right on top of that poor little boy.  This affected me more than it should.  No, I wasn't working when the call came in and no, I am not related to this family.  The only thing that relates me to this little boy is that I know his uncle/step-daddy.  He and his uncle were at my house a week before this tragic accident and he loved playing with the dogs. 

This boy had never met me in his life and when I pulled up to the house, he came running to me like he had known me forever and said, "Dog scwatchded me."  So to make him feel better, I told him he could take the other little dog home.  Smart thinkin', huh?  It would have been if his uncle would have let him.  He wanted to take one home but it just wasn't going to happen.  But he played with them until it was time to go home.

What are the odds that a tree is going to fall down in thirty mph winds?  And what are the odds that a child would just HAPPEN to be at that very spot at that very moment.  It gives me the shivers, I tell ya.  That's voodoo shit to me.  I feel so so sorry for this family.  I have heard people say some pretty mean shit and I think it's downright unfair, rude and they need to understand that this could happen to their children.  I hope it doesn't though.

People need to stop and think before inserting their feet in their mouth.  It doesn't matter if a family is poor; if a family does anything illegal or not; and it sure doesn't matter if you don't like a person.  You shouldn't say things like, "That child is better off dead."  NO child is better off dead.  Why should their surroundings get to determine their fate?  Should babies be aborted because their parents don't have any money?  Should babies be aborted because their parents smoke marijuana?  Should babies be aborted because someone in their family drives drunk? 

Too much stress is put on a child from the minute they are known to the world.  I believe that every child should have a chance; an opportunity; a path.  Every child should get to experience life as we know it.  I will agree to the Nth degree that not everybody should HAVE children.  But that's not for me to decide.  I see a lot of people that take advantage of their children; that mistreat their children.  Those are the people that shouldn't have kids.  But God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  For every child that is born on this earth and not taken care of, there IS a reason.  And that reason isn't for us to know.  At least not now.

Anyway, I am getting off track here.  A few days after the young lad's death, I got a chance to talk a little bit with his mom.  She told me that they donated his organs.  Now, this is the part that I don't know much about.  I don't know for sure just WHAT all organs they were able to use but I know that his eyes went to a child that needed them; even his elbow was used.  Now I'm sure that an elbow isn't something that's life threatening but if your child needed an elbow, wouldn't you be thankful that someone was able to donate one.  I have never ever given this much thought. I know for a fact that SIX other children were helped by this ONE little boy.  That teeny tiny little boy.  He helped six people. 

I think that is unbelievable and amazing and miraculous.  So it has me thinking about organ donation.  I am not, nor have ever been, an organ donor.  To be honest, it has always creeped me out a little bit.  The thought of my eyes gone, among other things.  But as I hear about this heroic little boy that saved many others, I think that maybe I should look into this organ donor thingy. 

And then I think things like..............my eyes suck; I have glasses/contacts.  I have diabetes so they won't want my kidneys.  My feet have arthritis in them but then again, would anyone want my feet???  That's kinda creeptastic in itself.  Reminds me of butchering the chickens.  Lay 'em up on the tabletop and cut their feet off.  I loved doing that.  But what would they do with my feet?  Stick my toes in whiskey and send them off to the Yukon so people can pay five bucks to drink a shot with my toe in it?  I don't know. 

But at least I'm thinking about it, ya know.  As far as I know, my heart is in good condition.  It may not be when I die because come on, what is it that kills us?  Answer:  Our hearts stop beating.  Unless you are on Grey's Anatomy.  Then they can do miraculous things to keep your heart beating while they guilt your family into donating your organs.  There I go again.

So, are YOU an organ donor?  Have you ever given it much thought?  I'm going to be cremated when I die anyway so I think I am going to be making some changes and do this.  I know it's not for everyone but I hope you stop and think about it.  Think about if it's for you or not.  And think about it for a long time.  This really is a decision that takes time.  At least in MY opinion.  Who knows.....you may even save a life.....or two.....or six. 

That's it for tonight folks.  The next blog will be a little more uplifting.  I hope all the bad stuff is done for now.  Too many deaths and bad news surrounding me these past few weeks.  I hope your world is bright blue and green with a big ball of yellow at the top. 

2 comments:

  1. Verlin's sister received the gift of a kidney. I can't imagine how hard that was for the family to decide during their time of grief. It is a wonderful gift. It gave her several more years of health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you get these comments from blogs past but I'm reading through your blogs and very much enjoy them. I'm a "classmate" from junior high and I wanted to say that organ donation is very much a personal choice ... and I have a brother still with me today because someone chose to give their heart! Yes, you know my brother and his wife (who was also a classmate to us).

    ReplyDelete