2012/04/27

Princess Amelia and her thoughts alone in the dark

Okay so you probably think that I am kinda beating a dead horse today but I would like you to know in advance that I am going to continue to beat this dead horse...........at LEAST four more times.  Who knows, it could be more.  I mean if it's already dead, it won't feel a thing right??  I just want to prepare my readers for what is ahead.  To you, it may just be mindless chatter.  I don't know why anyone would think that's any different than what I do any other day but whatever.  To me, this is not only my life, past and present, but it is something I adore.


Once upon a time there was a Princess.  And her name was Amelia.  She grew up in a castle.  And this castle had its good parts and its "bad" parts.  One of the good parts is that it housed all the people she loved.  Or most of them anyway.  Even when those people were mean to her, she loved those people.  Because she knew, deep down in her heart, that when it came down to it, THOSE were the people that would be beside her when she truly needed someone.  And they have proven that.  For the most part anyway.  This part of the castle gave her security.  Gave her no false hopes.  The door was always open and nobody could hurt her from the outside world, as long as she stayed in that castle.


One of the "bad" parts was that on the back side of the castle was a jail.  It held bad people; it held mean people; it held dirty people;  The most important thing is that it held PEOPLE.  People of all ages, all races, all genders, all religions and all HUMAN.  That is the key thing that I want to express first and foremost.  All of these people, in some way, needed help.  And that's why they were there.  This "bad" part of the castle taught the Princess that people will come and go, whether she wanted them to or not.  And to this day, she believes that this experience is why she is so good at letting people out of her life.  


For all the good parts of living in the castle, there are a hundred reasons why Princess Amelia's fondest memories are of the "bad" part.  Don't get me wrong, she loved the castle and every little thing about it.  But nothing and I mean NOTHING will ever come close to the love and the feel of the jail.  And that is why most of the memories you will learn about on this page today, are about that part of the castle.  


Princess Amelia learned many things in that "bad" part of the castle.  She learned how to roller skate.  Really good.  She would skate around the inner cell and it would annoy the fuck out of the "bad" people and they would bang on the walls; which would in turn, scare the hell out of Princess Amelia and she would skate FASTER.  Around the dark corner, as fast as her wheels could take her!  


She also learned a very big and very very important life lesson in this part of the castle.  I mentioned it above.  These people were human.  They bled just like she did.  They had hearts just like she did.  But these people needed help.  And she tried to do her part of helping them by being their friend.  Every one of them that passed through the castle doors.  Now, I'm sure there are some nay-sayers out there that would say "Kids should be kept away from THESE kinds of people."  If you honestly believe that then I say you should be slapped.  Very hard.  With a board.  


Princess Amelia learned that every one of these people had a story to tell.  Whether good or bad.  They needed someone to tell it to and who better than a child.  Because children don't judge.  Or at least, they didn't back in the day.  Children were children just trying to get in as much play time as they could get in.  To the Princess though, what she thought was playing, was actually teaching her a lot of life's lessons.  She would eat her meals with these people.  She wanted them to be a part of her life, even if for that very short time.  


Princess Amelia had several whittling lessons from one of these people.  He was a fun man.  He lived in a town about ten miles away and he would WALK to her town, go to the bar, get hammered drunk, start a fight and when they told him they were going to call the police, he would say "Don't bother, I'm just going to walk up to the castle and turn myself in."  And he did.  Almost every weekend.  He would go to the office, tell them what he done and the King would get out of bed and lock him up.  It didn't take many times of doing this that we learned he was doing it so he could get a hot meal and the Queen made FABULOUS meals.  She was known for it.  


So the Princess would wait until the King  unlocked the door the next morning and run in and wake up the man.  "It's time for another lesson!  Let's go outside!"  And so they did.  They sat right on the front porch of that castle and he learned her to whittle.  She sucks at it though.  Don't ask her to whittle for you.  But she knew that man had a heart of gold.  He had the patience of a Saint.  And he had nothing more than love for this little Princess.


Another man that was a super bad guy.  I don't know what he did to get put in there but he must have been awful bad because he was constantly locked in that inner cell.  Well he hung himself before the Princess could even get a story on him.  Bastard.  Oh well, it's probably for the best.  Who would wanna hang around with a dead beat anyway, huh?  -_-


A local man had gotten into drugs.  Such a shame.  He was the high school football quarterback just a few years previous and then he got into drugs.  He shot his wife.  Yessiree he did.  Right smack in the head.  In front of the Avon lady.  Dammit that's a bad day for anyone involved.  When he is finally arrested and brought to jail, the Princess is thrilled.  She has someone she can play with for a long time AND he's sooooo cute!!  There wasn't another girl around that didn't think he wasn't the cutest thing since kittens!  The Princess was with him every waking moment.  She ate her meals with him (and he got to attend the family Thanksgiving in the Castle dining room with the family that year), she watched tv with him, she even just hung out with him.  Most importantly, she was his friend.


Eventually Princess Amelia, as well as, the King and Queen had to move out of the Castle.  The King was tired and needed to care for his parents.  This was a sad sad day for the Princess.  She knew that that part of her life was completely over and she could never have it back.  It's just as well.  She knew she would always have in her hearts, all those people that she helped by listening or just by being there.  


You see, people make mistakes.  Good people make mistakes just as well as bad people.  Life is hard enough without everyone trying to pass judgement on everyone else simply because of the mistakes they have made.  Misconceptions are too easy to come and go by.    These people, as well as the people that have to arrest and jail them should not be defined by what they do.  But they are.  Everybody is.  Policemen, whether they be cops, officers, deputies, sheriff's, are defined by what they do.  And they are judged accordingly.  I don't know a single group of people that aren't.  People, this needs to stop.  Yes, I am including myself in this group here.  We all need to stop.  For the good of humanity.  


This brings me to the other point that I want to make today and over the course of my next four blogs.  Just because there are bad cops in the world, why does the general consensus have to be that all cops are bad.  Or even most of them.  I grew up around THEE most wonderful people that anyone could ask to be around.  Not only did I grow up with THEE best family on the planet, I also had deputies, city policemen, dispatchers and a whole courthouse of people to depend on and know that they were watching over me.  Helping me with anything my little heart desired.  I honestly have ONE BAD MEMORY of a cop.  He thought he was being really funny and locked me in the jail AFTER handcuffing me to the jail door.  


That did NOT go over well with my father and that cop never did it again.  Come to think of it, he quit shortly after that, flipped his lid, burnt his house down (or someone's house anyway) and away he went.  I never saw him again.  It's just as well though.  I learned to hold contempt at an early age.    


So now you know the story of Princess Amelia.  And why she's such a people person.  And why she's willing to give everybody on this ball ole ball of grass and water, a second chance.  A third chance.  However many it takes.  She doesn't necessarily like that part of her but it's something she will never be able to change.  She believes every person has some piece of good in her.  Even the douche bags.  Even the bastards. The assholes.  And yes, even the pricks.  


I hope you enjoyed this blog.  It truly brought a smile to my face.  And the face of Princess Amelia.  And I hope you enjoy the next four blogs.  I am doing my own "special" on each of my Deputies and the Sheriff that I work with.  You've read the one about Loverboy.  Now it's time to bare my heart on the others.  Until we meet again my friend, until we meet again.

8 comments:

  1. You were right. I did enjoy this, but in all fairness I haven't seen one yet that I haven't enjoyed. These about the jail, deputies and etc., and especially about our favorite "king and queen" . bring tears to my eyes right along with the chuckles, laughs and memories. Keep up the good work. Gives me one more thing to look forward to each day. Hell who am I kidding, sometimes its the only thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed a reply to this. Now I don't see it. What the hell?????

      Delete
  2. WOWWWWWW.....soooooo many things I didn't know about Amelia! LOVED reading this....Might be one of my favs, actually. Not because it made me laugh so hard that I peed my pants, like many of the others....but because I learned a lot about this Princess! I must say Amelia has had an amazing life and what a great, interesting, full-of-love childhood! LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You shouldv'e spent the night with me a time or two. Had that happen once. A classmate spent the night. Then her uncle got arrested and it all went downhill. She never stayed again. She says it was because I never invited her after that. Maybe she's right. I don't remember!

      Delete